April 2 Weeks in Morocco while Pregnant

Dec 30th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

April 2 Weeks in Morocco while Pregnant

So my husband and I want to take a fab vacation in April before our baby comes in July. I'll be about 6 months pregnant... so I'm assuming many of the "must do's" aren't going to be an option for me. We want to visit for 2 weeks- thinking about Marrakesh, Essaouira and Fes? Any suggestions of hotels, riads, restaurants etc would be greatly appreciated. Or any additional suggests. We're totally into food, my husband is into drinking, both love the beach, we're kinda lazy- we prefer to get to know a place, the people, the food and the culture rather than run around checking off tourist spots from a check list. We live in NYC, so we get "city" life everyday. We mainly want a nice mix of things to see, stroll around, hang on the beach, hit a spa, take a cooking class, belling dancing (why not?), shopping, eating and taking it all in. We are also open to a tour guide- a day to get all the good info from a native.
Please help us out with
1. your itinerary suggestions
2. Must try restaurants
3. cool hotels & riads
4. spa recs (or other physical/spiritual experiences)
5. Maybe the best hospitals (just in case hahaha)
6. Any other cool things you think this big bellied Mama would love!

Thanks so much!
Dec 30th, 2012, 02:25 PM

I rarely say don't go, especially when it's a place I love like I love Morocco. But I don't think it's a good idea for you pregnant.

Reasons:
1. After many trips there and as careful about what I eat while still enjoying myself I get sick about every other time. That wouldn't be good for you. And there may be other food-borne reasons that I'm not aware of.
2. It's a 3rd world country so the best medical care and what we consider appropriate transportation may not be there if you need it.

Wait and go for a nice rest after your wee one arrives. You'll appreciate the down time and pampering even more. I traveled when my son was 2 weeks old and it was wonderful to have nothing required of me for those first months.
Jan 1st, 2013, 08:18 AM
jgg

It is your decision whether or not to go to Morocco 6 months pregnant, but MmePerdu does make some good points to be sure you consider. We have traveled quite a bit, and the only place we ended up with "traveler's tummy" was in Morocco. Nothing that stopped us from enjoying the trip, but could be more of an issue pregnant.

If you decide you still want to go, I can recommend BlueMenofMorocco if you want a guide/driver to take you from place to place. We absolutely loved our driver/guide Zaid. He joined us when we were leaving Marrakech and took us to the desert and to Fez.

In Marrakech we stayed at Riad Kniza (a bit of a splurge), and they provided us with a guide for half a day in the souks, then we hired him (Latif) for the next day as well. Having a guide was wonderful! We learned so much, kept us from being bothered by others, and allowed us to just soak everything in, without constantly being concerned with getting lost. Our time in the desert was magical, but a stop in Essouria sounds better suited for you.

If you are interested, here is a link to my trip report along with pictures:
http://www.fromhometoroam.com/catego...frica/morocco/
Jan 1st, 2013, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both soon much! I so badly need to be in a foreign country that I may be getting a bit ahead of myself. We are now thinking of visiting Turkey... I guess I'll pose the same questions in that forum. Thanks for your input. Maybe we'll do Morocco in a few years.
Jan 2nd, 2013, 04:52 AM

I think the same cautions might apply to Turkey. How about Paris?