Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Anyone have experience with Sky Auction Kenya Safari??

Anyone have experience with Sky Auction Kenya Safari??

Dec 2nd, 2005, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Anyone have experience with Sky Auction Kenya Safari??

Has anyone bid, one and taken a safari in Kenya offered on Sky Auction? I e-mailed to ask who their supplier in Kenya was but they didn't respond. Any comments?
Dec 2nd, 2005, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Ooops...I meant won not one!!!
Dec 3rd, 2005, 05:39 AM

Hi,
I bid on and went on a Kenyan safari with Skyauction back in 2000. For the price, I think it is a fine first safari. Knowing what I know now however, for my second safari, I am doing Zambia.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

Cruisinred
Dec 4th, 2005, 07:15 AM

travellin,

For my very first safari, I bid and won a South African safari package. Actually, it was a seven night package but only two nights were on safari. It seemed like a good deal when I bought it, but then I completely customized it (switched from their 3* hotel to a 5* hotel, switched from the Skukuza Rest Camp to Singita, added more time in Cape Town, added a 3 night safari in the Victoria Falls area at Matetsi, etc.). Once I had customized it, I probably paid more than I would have paid from a good tour operator, but I didn't know the first thing about African travel back then.

I think you would be really well served by sharing your itinerary so that others who are more familiar with Kenya will be able to advise you whether or not it is a good itinerary and price.

Good luck.
Dec 4th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info...
I've given up on Sky Auction. We thought it would be a good intro to Kenya for a cheap price but after three weeks of no responses to my requests I have given up. I did a search on a couple of consumer complaint websites and there were more than a few nightmare stories about the Sky Auction experience. I have submitted an itinerary to some Kenyan operators and received some quotes. For a few hundred dollars more we can have a private vehicle w/out the worry of whether Sky Auction will come through. Unfortunately, after wasting almost 3 weeks the airfares have increased considerably. Live and learn! Fodorites always offer great info and I always learn so much. Thanks!

Search this Thread