Search

Kenya safari itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenya safari itinerary

Hi
I am new to this board, but am planning a safari to Kenya in September/ October and was wondering if anyone had any comments about the proposed itinerary.

Porini Amboselli for two nights
Mbweha Camp 2 nights
Samburu Intrepids two nights
Porini Mara 3 nights

We fly to and from Samburu and the Mara.

The cost is approx £2000 all in, apart from international flights.

Any comments greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Oh, sorry forgot to say I am traevelling with my husband and the cost is £2000 per person.

Can't believe I am booking another safari before I have even been on our safari to Tanzania at the end of this month!

Old Jun 6th, 2007, 06:03 PM

Booking your second before starting your first is impressive hamishbear. Making up for lost time?

Did you look at the location of Porini Mara and are you happy with that? Other camps are probably better located for the migration, but maybe would but your cost up. You should convert to US$ here - most of us don't have a pound symbol on our computers ;-)

The price seems a bit expensive to me, even for peak season (unless of course that is for two, in which case it is a steal).
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 06:56 PM

Looks good. I learned about Mbweha camp from your post.

I agree with Kimburu on the pricing.

I'd be interested in knowing the background of booking a second safari before completing your first. Though I think it is an excellent move!
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Original Poster

Hi

The price is $3985 per person.

The tanzanian safari will be our second safari. We went to South Africa and Botswana in september last year, and booked the Tanzanian one as soon as we returned, although we were originally booked to go in February but had to cancel as my husband ended up with a broken elbow after a hit and run car accident.
I think I got bitten by a safari bug rather than a mosquito whilst in Botswana!
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 09:49 AM

Is this for Sep/Oct this year or next? The price doesn't seem that out of line to me considering the camps and flights. And with the areas you're trying to combine and number of nights at each location, you definitely need some flights in there.

2007 rates for the Porini camps are listed here http://www.porini.com/porini_camps_prices.html

The peak season rack rate for Mbweha camp is $230pppn full board (add vehicle cost + park fees). I don't know what the current game package rate is for Intrepids. The flights work out to around $560pp assuming you're driving from Nakuru back to Nairobi to take the scheduled flight to Samburu.

Location wise, I wonder if Porini Lion would be better than Mara Porini at that time of year. The rates are the same, so there shouldn't be any additional cost but I don't know about availability if it's for this year.