Anyone flown Kulula Air in SA?

Apr 13th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Anyone flown Kulula Air in SA?

Looking at options for flights within South Africa this fall...simple stuff, JNB to CPT -- and my friends there suggested trying Kulula to save some $
Apr 13th, 2009, 07:55 AM

Yes, a few years ago, we flew Kulula from CPT to JNB. We were packed in like sardines. The atmosphere of the flight was frivolous to the point of silliness, with the flight attendants giving the safety instructions in "hip" language. The whole thing left me cold.

It's a short flight, so maybe it would be ok for you, but I decided that next time I'd rather spend a bit more for an SAA flight.

But as I say, it was several years ago. Maybe someone has a more recent experience.

Celia
Apr 13th, 2009, 08:25 AM

I also flew CPT to JNB with Kalula in 2005 (wow that's 4 years ago now!). They are a little casual and goofy. I think you have to buy any food/drinks--I don't think anything is free.

As long as they're cheaper than SAA and just as safe (or safer), I'd fly them again. The goofiness mostly goes away after you take off, and it's only a 2 hour flight. I've put up with enough unintentional goofiness among the mainstream US airlines to handle it, I guess.
Apr 13th, 2009, 12:11 PM

My family and I flew CT to JNB with Kulula in 2005 and they were excellent - best fares by far. I don't remember any goofy antics, just the lime green corportate colour. We were recovering from a nasty case of food poisoning, and I think the four of us were almost as green as the plane and the uniforms the crew wore - which is perhaps why I don't remember much else. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. Kulula is affiliated with BA if that offers any reassurance. Robin
Apr 13th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Sounds like the "Southwest Airlines" of South Africa. My daughter and a friend were horrified to be welcomed aboard a flight to Honolulu when they were headed from Raleigh/Durham to Miami (on their eventual way to Costa Rica). I haven't had anything "free" on any flight within the US for at least two years, so that's not an issue. That they are affiliated with BA is a reassurance.
Apr 13th, 2009, 11:19 PM

Kulula is the "budget' operation of Comair, which has the local BA franchise. And although drinks and snacks have to be paid for, often you'll end up on a BA/Comair plane, and get the same service as BA passengers.

In any event, aside from the other budget airlines (Mango, which is SAA's; and iTime), I suggest you also look at BA. For a return JNB/CT flight in early March (booking I think 2-3 weeks ahead) they had by far the lowest fare. Including compared with Kulula! It can depend on what time of the day you want to fly. The price can be different for different flights on the same day.
Apr 13th, 2009, 11:36 PM

That's "1Time" not "iTime".
Apr 14th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Now my biggest problem is waiting until everything is confirmed to the point I'm comfortable making those reservations. I always figured my next trip to Africa would be because we found a great deal on a last-minute basis, but now I've got six months to settle these details!
Apr 14th, 2009, 07:55 PM

Think of it as 6 months of wonderful anticipation! Robin