Anyone done Tauck's Egypt tour?

Apr 2nd, 2011, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Anyone done Tauck's Egypt tour?

Looking to do an Egyptian trip in November and am very new at this. Tauck has a tour that appears to cover my interests, but I've never done a tour like this and I'm a little concerned about the size of their groups. Also looked at AK's offerings but they cost more - worth the extra $$?
Apr 2nd, 2011, 06:02 PM

I don't know about the company you mention. I loved the idea of our private tour with just hubbie, myself, guide and driver. I believe in many respects you do get what you pay for.
Apr 2nd, 2011, 11:37 PM

Tauck is high end and they ARE the A&K rep here in Egypt, I'm pretty sure. If Tauck is slightly cheaper, I guess it's because A&K isn't taking a cut off the top.
If what you like are group tours and all they offer, and you can afford theirs, it's probably a good choice. They usually stay at high end hotels like Four Seasons, Mena House and the new German one Kempiski or something like that.
Apr 3rd, 2011, 01:55 AM

Have done them in Costa Rica not Egypt

But they were GREAT for upscale group travel.

In most countries they are the best.

Groups were not too large early AM bus tour calls

were the worst part I am not a morning person.

In Egypt prefer private travel options for me

self-guide betterbidding.com booking.com

for luxury hotels at great discounts.

Usually hire driver/guides from $50 per half day all in.

zicasso.com affordabletours.com good group tours

also if you elect to go that route...

I always pay with CC and insuremytrip.com always wise.

Happy Hunting,
Apr 3rd, 2011, 05:20 AM

We have taken the Tauck trip of the US Canyonlands and are taking their Israel and Jordan trip next month.
They offer WONDERFUL service, stay at upper end hotels/resorts, stay in each place long enough to really see things, give you plenty of free time to do as you wish, etc.
In other words, they are a highly rated company and rightly so.
Apr 3rd, 2011, 08:04 AM

Except for the fact that they are very expensive and are "group" tours, if this is what you want, guess they're as good as any.

However, know that your price per person also includes a Tour Director to travel with you, rather than using an "in-country" person (always less money) that shouldn't add much to your price.

Most people choose to travel independently to Egypt and find many of the "in-country" outfitters (names you can find thru a search here on Fodor's*) can arrange the same or better itinerary at great savings.

*lots of Trip Reports here with details of their itineraries and the Egyptian company they used to arrange.

Your choice.
Apr 4th, 2011, 08:04 AM

You might want to also look into Insight Vacations. We did an Insight Vacations tour in Egypt last year and it was spectacular! They limit their group sizes to 40 and ours was only 33, so it's definitely not too big-- They are pretty upscale and I know they just launched a "Gold" line in Egypt that is even more upscale than their usual touring line. Plus, everything is included and our tour director was absolutely fabulous. They are definitely a great option if you are looking for a great tour operator in Egypt.

http://www.insightvacations.com/us/i...code=IVEUUS10E
Apr 4th, 2011, 04:28 PM

Tauck has been a highly regarded tour operator world wide. I don't believe they have any affiliation with A and K; however both will use a local ground operator and I know in the case of A and K that is Acorn and they might also handle the Tauck groups as they are similar quality. I would not worry about size of group this fall...but I would make sure what their policy is as to how many they need to operate the tour. Many times if numbers are not met they consolidate and I think it will take a bit of time to get the tourism numbers back up in Egypt. This can be a problem in terms of air tickets etc. I would just find out at what point they make a decision or some companies just go with very few participants which is great for you. I think either company would be good and you really cannot go wrong with Tauck.
Apr 4th, 2011, 05:38 PM

Try Lady Egypt.... get a deluxe tour and accomodations.. in fact, anything you want, your way.... without the group. I loved it without the group. I was worried about getting sick and having everyone waiting for me which would make me feel worse.
Apr 4th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all your replies - I appreciate the input. I have been reading a lot of past posts on this board and realize that for many going the independent route works best, but for us, for this trip, I think a group tour is the way to go. I'm glad to hear that they have a great reputation as I have to admit that I'd never hear of them. I'm looking forward to hear how your trip goes schmerl - I hope you'll post your thoughts.
Apr 5th, 2011, 04:46 AM

Kathie21,
As I said, we've traveled with Tauck before and they are great. We could have booked our Israel and Jordan tour for less money, but Tauck had the best itinerary and stayed at the best hotels. They are also more generous with their included meals than many other tour operators. They do use local guides for their tours.
I will post when we return next month.
Apr 5th, 2011, 04:49 AM

Also....my sister toured Egypt with Grand Circle Tours and loved it. They are not at the same level as Tauck, but are a wonderful company.