Any updates on Migration location?

Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Any updates on Migration location?

Was wondering if anyone had any updates on where the Migration is primarily focused right now?

TIA!!
Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:39 AM

Got back yesterday morning - will try to write report at weekend!

There were huge herds on the plains south of Naabi Hill, both sides of main road on 27 and 28 December. They seem to be changing direction frequently to find the best grasses, as they are still quite short.

Smaller herds had got through to the plains south east of Ndutu on 28th.

As we left Ndutu on 29 December there were a lot of wildebeest trying to decide whether or not to cross Lake Masek.
Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:47 AM

Sorry, correction!

Smaller herds had got through to plains south WEST of Ndutu on 28th.
Jan 3rd, 2008, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Wingi!

I'll be at Manyara/Ngorongoro/Ndutu from Feb 27 - Mar 8. Hopefully we're not too late!!
Jan 4th, 2008, 03:51 AM

We just got back a few days ago. I'll be posting our trip report shortly. Herds are south-west of Naabi gate. Ndutu is a good base to see the migration. Serena, Sopa, etc are a bit too far North at this point.
Jan 4th, 2008, 08:35 PM

Here is somnthing I just read onlkine at Wildwatch-com

New Year’s Babies? - Serengeti National Park, Tanzania and Masai Mara National Reserve
2008-01-04

The vast herds of zebra and wildebeest saw the New Year in on the short grass plains of the southern Serengeti. Yesterday, a huge herd was spotted near the boundary of the Serengeti and the Ngorongoro Conservation Area. There are lots of newborn wildebeest, which is fairly uncommon for this time of year. They are typically born at the end of February, so this has been a nice surprise for our guests. Two of CC Africa's Serengeti Under Canvas camps are currently located in the Ndutu area, where hundreds of animals are grazing around the tents. What a sight! Early next week, all three of our Serengeti Under Canvas camps will be situated in the southern Serengeti, just in time for calving season.

Davgai1
Jan 4th, 2008, 08:45 PM

Would including Oldupai be a good idea in Feb to increase odds of seeing the migration?
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:36 AM

Lynn

If budget is an issue you have to think about park entry fees.

If you stay in the Greater Ngorongoro (Ndutu, Oldupai Camp, etc) you have to pay NCA entry fees ($50 pppd) AND Serengeti park fees (same fees) if you venture across the boundaries.

And vice versa.

So (a) you have to know the location of the camps/lodges, (b)plan your potential roaming area, and (c) consider your budget
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:55 AM

Didn't see any baby wildees - but they were probably only having them round the CC Africa tents!!!!!!
Jan 5th, 2008, 06:45 AM

Guides report a few zebra newborns - wildebeest calves (if there are any) must be localized. None were seen today on the greater plains but the guides will search wider on Sunday!
Jan 5th, 2008, 08:36 AM

Don't the zebra babies usually precede the wilde babies? I thought zebra babies are usually born in January and wilde babies later in Jan to March? Do I have that right?

Wingi, wilde births outside your tent entrance would get me to book the CCAfrica mobile for sure! Budget be damned!

The $50-$100 for traversing rights is not a deterrent to me, even if I did not end up going to the places I paid for because the migration was not there. The thousands of $ for several nights in a top-of-the-line mobile is a deterrent to me unless that really produces something I could not get elsehwere.

I thought the wildebeests did hang out around Oldupai in Jan-Feb. Or is that very hit and miss?

Thanks for the info.
Jan 5th, 2008, 10:34 AM

We will be at Ndutu Lodge March 19 and 20 and then Olakira for three nights. I hope we won't be too late for the migration in that area.