Search

Any point in taking.......

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any point in taking.......

Any point in taking along a little portable pocket size radio to tune in the news or should I just forget it and figure the world will still be sizzling when we complete our safari tour and head back to the States. Any thoughts/opinions accepted.
Old Jun 24th, 2013, 10:14 AM

... and what would you do if you 'heard' something? Pack-up and leave? Don't think so.

City hotels have CNN or BBC, there are local newspapers with world news and when out in the bush some lodges actually have a TV in the Lounge, and owners/managers of tent camps often have satellite communications to the outside world.

I was gone from NYC when Super Storm Sandy hit and heard about this when in-country, but not much could be done on my end. Thankfully, I wasn't impacted which I only learned in taxi on way home from the airport 3/weeks after. So leave it be.

Don't believe any of us need to know anything political as it's always same-ole, same-ole; and unless your house is burning or floating away somewhere... what else do any of us need to hear. Just be sure someone at home (family/friends) know where to reach you should there be a serious need.

It's your vacation... go and enjoy and leave whatever is happening at home, at home. Besides, who knows what reception you'll get from a small battery operated radio other than local news.
Old Jun 24th, 2013, 11:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Practically speaking, I'd ask what channel you were planning to tune in to, and if you expect to understand what's being said on it (being in a different language quite likely?)

The one "big city" hotel in Arusha where we stayed didn't even have tv anywhere. For me it was 14 days of no tv or news at all. Sweet!!!
Old Jun 24th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

OK, I get it! NO RADIO! Knowing that I'm fairly big on keeping up with the stock market's gyrations and investments, one of my friends commented that he wasn't sure how I will survive for two weeks being away from first hand market news and quotes. I replied that I was sure that I could make it through two weeks with other than the stock market on my mind.
Like, how about the Bog Five AND Migrations/ Ha! Ha!

As always, thanks for your thoughts.

Jay H.
Old Jun 24th, 2013, 01:50 PM

Stock Market - even if you had access, it'll likely be the European or Far East markets, rather than the NYSE. Besides, the numbers make no sense, moving up/down on any given day because someone sneezed And when you return home you'll appreciate how you survived without it.
Old Jun 24th, 2013, 02:32 PM

One of the great things about a vacation in Africa is to get DISCONNECTED!!
Old Jun 24th, 2013, 02:57 PM

There's likely internet access on your route so you can still get your stock market fix The only time we've taken a portable radio was during the post election riots and we lent it to our guide for most of the trip.
Old Jun 24th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Original Poster

You said it and I totally agree Cateyes555, I will become totally DISCONNECTED from the markets while we are gone and give my all to what everyone seems to say is "the trip of a lifetime."

Well, I guess this topic is now a wrap.

Thank you all for chiming in. We leave in 17 days for what we hope will be our greatest adventure yet.

P.S. We just signed up for GOES (Global Online Enrollment System) where, if we get approved, and no reason to believe we wont, we will be able to bypass long lines at US airports where one has to take of belts, shoes, empty pockets, etc. We then go through a special kiosk where we just show our card and just walk under scanner....no belts, shoes, etc removal. Also good when returning from overseas....no lines , no hastle.
We completed an on-line form and charged a non-refundable $100 each and we will be notified if we passed background check. We then must schedule an interview with US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) at nearest location to us which is Los Angeles International Airport.

Has anyone taken advantage of this?

Jay H.
Old Jun 24th, 2013, 09:59 PM

Try this thread here on Fodors -
http://tinyurl.com/pow7v9w
But note thread is about 3 yrs old. Suggest you ask GOES question on the "Air Travel" forum.

regards - tom
Old Jun 25th, 2013, 04:15 AM

Many here have Global Entry (incorrectly referred to as GOES, which is only the application process). Works quite well but somewhat limited (for now) in where it is available (both for CBP entry and TSA PreCheck). I've had it for almost two years now.
Old Jun 25th, 2013, 05:27 AM

If you're unable to schedule a Global Entry interview before your departure, try walking in. That's what we did and they were able to accommodate us due to no shows. I've read that conditional approval is taking several weeks now.
Old Jun 29th, 2013, 11:20 PM

As others have said, there were "business center" huts and hot spots at all of our camps. Also our smartphones picked up wifi truly in the middle of nowhere. We did remain relatively unplugged, but were able to answer important emails and quickly check the news and the market daily, sometimes while waiting for river crossings. We also had a small laptop to upload photos, so we didn't have to worry about memory cards.

And yes, we have Global Entry, well worth it, and If you have an Amex Platinum card, the fee is waived.
Old Jun 29th, 2013, 11:34 PM

Here's so more info about Global Entry from the Points Guy: http://thepointsguy.com/2011/04/glob...ocks-my-world/

There are also numerous threads on flyertalk. This one is about how long it takes to be cleared:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...-approval.html
Old Jun 30th, 2013, 11:47 AM

I never took off a belt, shoes, emptied pockets or placed that 1/qt bag with 3/oz liquids. Just walk thru the xray (won't use those scanner machines besides recently heard many are being removed... see where our taxes go? for nonsense). If agent wants my shoes, I just sit down on chair, let them take put thru scanner and return. No way walking on those nasty floors whether with or without socks. Am always patted down as I look like Mrs. Frankenstein on the inside

Returning to the States, few airports (not even Israel) are as crazy as our TSA, especially about shoes... though they all seem to go nuts (except Israel) if you have even a small bottle of water purchased after the security point on the check immediately before boarding.
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 01:39 AM

Enjoy the serenity.. without the radio.