Any info on Mateya?

Feb 23rd, 2007, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Any info on Mateya?

Has anyone been to Mateya and have any reports good or bad? It sure looks pretty, but who knows how it really is . . . any information would be appreciated! Thanks--
Feb 23rd, 2007, 03:45 PM

travelgirl,

I finished my last safari with a couple nights at Mateya. Now I have been to probably 25 different lodges, most of them luxury lodges, in both Southern Africa and Tanzania, and without hesitation I say that Mateya is the single most amazing lodge I have ever visited.

If the luxury was not enough, I had great gameviewing, as well. Lions on a wildebeest kill, many more lions, a couple wild dogs sightings, plenty of elephants, plenty of rhinos, spotted hyenas and even a brown hyena.

I should have photos from my safari at Mateya up soon.

Next time I go to Africa with someone special, Mateya is definitely the way to end the trip...simply mindblowing.
Feb 24th, 2007, 12:21 PM

My wife and I were married at Mateya last May and spent 5 nights with them. Just the 2 of us and we were their 1st wedding considering the lodge has only been commercial for 2 years. I can only say this place is amazing. The service, food and everything else is over the top. Our gameviewing was excellent. What I liked is that there were just 2 of us in a vehicle with our ranger & tracker. Never more than 4 people in a vehicle. This place is really 6 star in every way. We can't wait to go back.

My pictures I keep private, however, there are some excellent pictures on Smugmug.com that are public that really showcase how fantastic the lodge really is. At smugmug, just hit browse and type in Mateya. You'll find them.

Feb 25th, 2007, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info on the pictures---I was not aware of that source. I was also concerned about the game viewing in that area as I had heard mixed reports.
Feb 26th, 2007, 05:30 PM

Our game viewing was excellent. Lots of elephants, zebra, wildebeast and giraffe. Saw many rhino ( black & white). Wild dogs came to the Mateya waterhole in front of the lodge and were going after a young zebra. Only thing we missed was a leopard which is elusive anyway.
Apr 27th, 2007, 05:42 AM

I was there once and saw the Big 5 on our first game drive. Maybe I was lucky but it's hard to imagine someone saying the wildlife viewing is not good. I will be returning again soon and can hardly wait. Mateya is far and away the best of the best, the nicest accommodations and the best service imaginable. You'll be spoiled for life and it's worth every penny. I'd request #1, it's the closest to the dining and lodge and smack in front of the watering hole.
Apr 28th, 2007, 07:17 AM

Actually, if you want total privacy, Suite # 2 is best. Has a view of waterhole, but can't see lodge. This is suite where they put honeymooner's. All of the 5 suites are very private, but # 1 can be seen from the lodge & fire core
May 7th, 2007, 05:52 PM

We stayed at Mateya (our first visit to a safari camp) and it was just great. The accommodations and game viewing seemed fantastic to us novices. We requested #1 since it required less walking back and forth. I certainly don't recall seeing the lodge or visa versa, IMO it was completely private. It was hot so we really enjoyed skinny dipping in the large private plunge pool. We were traveling with another couple who had stayed at Singita Boulders last year and they like Mateya better. I think the bar has really been raised for any future trips back to South Africa for us.