Notices

Amman visit

Apr 13th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Amman visit

Our plan-Nov. 15-early AM flight from Tel Aviv to Amman; transfer by Desert Horizons to Petra for evening tour and overnight at Marriott
Nov. 16-full day at Petra with Desert Horizons guide; return to Amman in late day
Nov. 17-1/2 day to Jerash (is this enough time?); return to Amman to see life of Jordanian people by visiting markets (other suggestions?)
Nov. 18 - Visit Citadel, Roman Theater and Archeological museum on our own (thoughts about whether we should do this on our own??); If there is enough time visit to King Hussein Park car collection (Is it possible to do all in 1 day in Amman?)
Flight to US that night (any airline suggestions??)
Any other thoughts or comments are appreciated.
Apr 14th, 2010, 03:51 AM

We spent 5 nights in Jordan (with Desert Horizon) which gave us a bit more time to see other sites but here are a few suggestions

- assume you will stop at Madaba and possibly Kerak (crusader castle) on the way to Petra?
- a full day at Petra and return to Amman is a long day ... assume you know that?
- re Jerash half day - we spent about 3 hours at the site (could have stayed longer but it started to pour) but we love Roman Ruins so that's a consideration for you. If you like forts and castles (which we also do) then a visit to nearby Ajloun is often twinned with a Jerash visit
- Bethany Beyond the Jordan is a fascinating site for historical and religious reasons (confirmed as the site that John baptized Jesus)

Here's a link to our blog with pics of all the above. Also - we highly recommend our DH driver Bashar Herzalla - lovely man!

http://lizandrichardsa.typepad.com/l..._adv/d_jordan/
Apr 14th, 2010, 07:22 AM

I found Amman distinctly underwhelming (the author of the Rough Guide told me on Twitter that my problem was using the Lonely Planet guide - so you might check RG...) The Citadel and Arch. Museum will take a couple of hours, the Roman Theater rather less.

I think Petra merits two full days, and I would certainly stop in Madaba (but I'm a big fan of mosaics). It poured rain the whole time I was at Jerash, but the ruins are extensive if you have good weather - more likely, surely!

My blog, including Jordan, is at mytimetotravel.wordpress.com, my pix at kwilhelm.smugmug.com. I also posted a TR here - http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...iddle-east.cfm
Apr 14th, 2010, 09:01 AM

We had even less time when in Jordan so our visit was somewhat rushed. That said, if you can do 2/days Petra would be best and not too hectic to/from. We visited the Amphitheatre and Jerash in 1/morning. But if also including the museum, would allow for a full day in-around Amman.

As to homebound flight, there is always Royal Jordanian (believe via AMSterdam). But I'd check a site as Kayak at www.kayak.com to see which other air carrier (schedules, fares) flies your route.
Apr 15th, 2010, 05:36 AM

"Visit Citadel, Roman Theater and Archeological museum on our own (thoughts about whether we should do this on our own??)" -- I think preferably done on your own. Very cheap & easy to taxi from hotel. They are all small sites/museums - will only take a few hours to see all of them.
Apr 15th, 2010, 06:03 AM

BTW, in Amman, aside from the Citadel and Arch. Museum, I'd recommend the National Gallery of Fine Arts - http://www.nationalgallery.org/ - near the Abdali bus station.
Apr 15th, 2010, 09:05 PM

I would recommend spending at least one night preferably two nights(the night before and the night of) in Petra so you don't have to rush.Its a long drive and you are really tired after walking all over Petra for the day.

Jerash is a half day trip and a wonderful trip for the Roman ruins. Loved it! Doing the Roman amplitheatre,museums,etc. along with seeing Amman is at least a full day. We also spent the night at the Dead Sea,toured Bethany and wish that we had had more time at the Dead Sea.
Desert Horizons can map your trip out if you tell them what you want to see and do.

We flew into Jordan from Egypt.Our driver, Yousef picked us up and drove us down to Petra where we spent two nights and one full day(stayed at the Crowne Plaza which was nice and very close to the entrance-Movenpick is the closest). On the day we left Petra, we went over to Wadi Rum and did a desert tour followed by lunch. Headed over to the Dead Sea where we spent the night. Next day was the "religious" sites of Jordan along with the mosiacs before coming back to Amman. Toured Amman along with doing the markets and being on our own after Yousef dropped us off for the night.The next day we did Jerash followed by extra things in Amman before leaving that night to return to the states. Altogether 5 nights in Jordan which is a country that my family loves!

I would highly recommend two books before you go:
Queen Noor's biography(which includes the recent history of Jordan and the political problems of the region)and her love story with King Hussein.
And the book,"My Life with a Bedouin" which is the true story of a NZ woman who goes to Petra on vacation and falls in love with a Bedouin man. The story chronicles her almost 30 years of marriage to him living in a cave and that area,etc. The book is fascinating and she still resides in Petra running a souvenir stand in a cave-actually saw her there when we were there.

Airline suggestions-Delta flies nonstop from Amman to JFK. Royal Jordanian flies nonstop to Chicago and JFK,possibly other cities?

Do yourself a favor and request the driver Yousef with Desert Horizons. Our family had him on our Jordan trip in December and it was like having a local cousin with us. He is around 35 with a degree in business and the most laid back personality-very flexible and friendly. He will drive you all around Jordan but Desert Horizons has him obtain the guides specifically for Petra and Jerash,etc. There are quite a few people who have had Yousef on this board who have enjoyed their Jordan experience with him. I work for a major US airline and my fellow airline employees that have used Yousef have been most thankful for suggesting him for their Jordan experience. You won't go wrong!
I love Jordan and its people-friendly and very welcoming.The topography of the region is amazing!
Apr 16th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to all of you for all of your answers.

Search this Thread