Airport Transfer

Old Oct 20th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airport Transfer

Hello, I'm flying into London Heathrow and will make a connecting flight to Cairo. I will have three hours to disembark from the plane, gather my luggage, clear customs, and pass through immigration. Since I will not be boarding the same airline for my connecting flight to Cairo, I will need to collect my belongings and move from one terminal to another. Taking all of this into consideration, does anyone know whether three hours will be sufficient time to complete this process? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 02:57 AM

yes it will be very enough,the pasports customs,were taking a long time at the od cairo airport,but with opening the new airport every thing is going very fast.
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 12:38 PM

Hi Roben
I think you mis read what TravelExplorer was saying. I think they meant London Heathrow Airport and not Cairo Airport. Thank you though for explaining about Cairo, I noticed myself that the airport had got faster in the new terminal. Thanks for reminding us of that.

Travel Explorer.
Heathrow Airport is very large, indeed there are buses between terminals etc. However, normally for a Cairo Flight check in opens 3 hours before departure. And if you only have 3 hours you might need to check what time check in closes.

As I dont know which terminal you will fly into, or which one you will fly out of, I cant give you good advice at this time. If you could let me know I will try and find out for you about transfer times.

Also if you can let me know which airline you will fly into London with and which airline you will fly out of london with I can check for you if they have an affiliation and thereby might be able to help you with transfer or later check in.

It would take about 20 mins by the time you disembark and get yourself down to immigration (dependant on which gate you arrive in at), then immigration queues can be very long (for non EEA passengers), so that could add quite a bit to your time. Then you have to get your bags and then clear customs. So you are talking, probably best case scenario at least 45 minutes. Then to get yourself from one terminal to another.

Ok, I wouldnt panic - I know what i have said above doesnt sound promising but if you let me know the details of your flights I can always check locally for you, or even call Heathrow and ask them (since I am in the UK so the call wont be so expensive then)

Best regards

Scotsgirl
Old Oct 24th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Hi Scotsgirl,

I am flying into LHR on American Airlines. Then, I will board a flight on British Airways to Cairo. From what I understand, American Airlines is based out Terminal 3 and British Airways is based out of Terminal 5.

Thanks for your help with my situation.

travelexplorer
Old Oct 24th, 2009, 08:12 PM

Hi Travelexplorer

One of my friends is flying out to Cairo in November, and she received this from her flight provider. This will give you an idea of how long - they estimate 20 minutes between terminals..... because the monorail is off for 8 months. I would say give it about 15 mins more, just in case.

Important information regarding your flight at Gatwick Airport on 23 Nov 2009. The North to South Terminal monorail will be closed from 28 Sep 2009 for approximately 8 months.

From 28 Sep 2009 until May 2010, a replacement bus service will operate between Gatwick's North and South Terminals. The service will depart from the upper forecourt of both terminals every three minutes during the day (04.00 to 18.00) and every six minutes at night. Please allow 20 minutes to transfer between terminals during this period. As the transit stations will be closed, access between South Terminal and local buses will be via alternative routes.

Ill send you more info in a minute

Scotsgirl
Old Oct 24th, 2009, 08:15 PM

ok. This link will take you to the British Airport Authority site and tell you which terminal your airline will operate out of.

http://www.gatwickairport.com/portal...ich+terminal?/

more to come......
Old Oct 24th, 2009, 08:18 PM

OK IGNORE EVERYTHING I SAID ABOVE - YOU ARE FLYING OUT OF HEATHROW!!!!! AND MY FRIEND IS FLYING OUT OF GATWICK !!!

Anyone flying out of Gatwick???? here is what you need to know. but Travel Explorer I am SORRY! LONG NIGHT.

give me two more mins and ill answer again

Scotsgirl
Old Oct 24th, 2009, 08:22 PM

ok, lets try this all over again

Right, to find out what terminal exactly your airline will operate into and out of go to ....

http://www.heathrowairport.com/porta...ich+terminal?/

Then to find information about the transfer between these terminals go to ......

http://www.heathrowairport.com/porta...0357e120a____/

And,

If connecting from Terminal 3 to Terminal 5 they have a connections terminal guide and they estimate 90 minutes for your connection between terminals go to this page....

Old Oct 24th, 2009, 08:28 PM

Now the terminal connections is only if your baggage is checked right through to the next airline, which I dont think it will be.

Can you send me your dates and your flight numbers and I will call Heathrow Airport tomorrow and see what they recommend, I will also call British Airways and see what they recommend.

British Airways have quick machines at Terminal 5 where you just check yourself in, then you drop your bags off at the baggage point. You can also check in online on British Airways so if you give me your flight times then I can ask them if you can check in online before you take off from the US. Also let me know what time you will last have access to the internet before you fly i.e. if you are leaving home two hours before your flight etc.

That way you could print off your boarding pass etc before you leave the US and all you have to do then is get to terminal 5 and drop off the bags, so you wont miss check-in as you will already be checked in - if that makes sense

Scotsgirl
Old Oct 24th, 2009, 08:39 PM

This is the information on transferring from terminal 3 to terminal 5........

--------------------------------------------------------------

Terminals 1, 2, 3 to Terminal 5

Use Heathrow Express trains for a free transfer between Heathrow Central and Terminal 5. This quick, convenient service runs every 15 minutes and the journey takes about three minutes.

Heathrow Central is between Terminals 1, 2 and 3. The terminals are a few minutes' walk away via underground walkways, and are signposted from the platforms. The Terminal 5 rail station is in the basement of the terminal and linked to check-in and arrivals by express lifts.

Alternatively, the 441 and 724 buses provide a free transfer between the terminals, taking 10 and 20 minutes. The N9 night bus, which runs between 23:55 and 04:55 (times vary at weekends), also takes ten minutes.

Services stop at the Terminal 5 bus station (next to the terminal) and the Heathrow central bus station (between Terminals 1, 2 and 3).

--------------------------------------------------------------

to clear security quickly put all liquids under 100ml into a plastic bag before you get to the terminal 5. That way as soon as you get to security you can just hand over your liquids for them to have a look at. and that will speed things up a bit. Anything over 100ml throw away cos they wont let you through with it, and they wont let you through with any bottled drinks (but you can buy them at the other side of security)

Make sure you have taken your belt off and make sure as you are lining up monitor the queues and go for the fastest one.

You might have to take off your shoes so make sure you dont have complicated footwear

If you are taking a laptop it needs to be put through the x ray outside of your bag. Otherwise they pull your bag apart trying to get to it to check it individually - well thats what they did to me and I got a bit delayed because everything had to come out of my bag.

If I think of anything else ill update you.

Scotsgirl
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 03:31 PM

from American Airlines you should be able to check your luggage through on British Air as they are partners. If you are not stopping in London, do you have to clear customs or can you just go "in transit" to your next destination?
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Scotsgirl, I appreciate all of your help. The information you provided is extremely thorough. I got a little nervous and anxious about this transition phase so I decided to contact the airlines. American Airlines said I can check my luggage through my final destination, even though I will be flying on British Airways for that leg of my trip. Apprently, because they are part of the One World Alliance group, I can also print out my British Airways boarding pass at the American Airlines counter when I check in at my originating airport. I was getting a little concerned because I thought that I would not have time to make my connecting flight at LHR. What a panic! Thanks for much for all of your help. I'll be able to fly with more ease now.

Patricia - I'm pretty sure I'll still have to clear customs while in transit to board my next flight. Although, I'm not 100% sure.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 09:35 AM

You never clear customs during an airline connection in Heathrow unless you are staying over in the UK. You go through the In-Transit line, and then you go off to your next flight, passing through security again. Three hours should be plenty of time.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Doug!
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 12:50 PM

Hi Travelexplorer

Thats fantastic news!! Phew

Ok this link will then help you with your transfer internally inside the airport..

All the best

Scotsgirl
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the link. You were a lot of help scotsgirl!
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 04:45 PM

No Problem, happy to help. Have a great time!!

Scotsgirl
Old Nov 1st, 2009, 01:59 AM

I was reading an Egypt travel brochure or I saw it online, sorry, I cannot remember where and you could pay for an airport pickup and be assisted through customs and to your hotel. Might make things run smoothly during your first introduction to Egypt. I am glad I am having someone collect me at the airport.