Africa Serendipity

Aug 19th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Africa Serendipity

Has anyone used this company and do you know which operators they use in Kenya. Thanks
Aug 19th, 2005, 03:19 PM

lyban,

I was in serious negotitations with Africa Serendipity, as well as Africa Travel Resource. It was a very tough call and it really could have went either way.

Africa Serendipity had slightly better pricing, sent me a beautiful package containing color brochures from each of the proposed lodges & hotels/resorts, and was very helpful on the telephone.

ATR had a slightly better website and being the slick marketing people that they are, they tend to rate all of the camps that they propose higher than the others that they do not deal with. While I should be intelligent enough to see through this smokescreen it does have a subconscious effect where you really start to believe their ratings as gospel.

I think what clinched it for ATR was that the agent was a marathon runner and we got around to talking about marathons and he mentioned that the Kiliminjaro Marathon was right around the dates that I would be visiting. From there the itinerary was planned around the marathon and before I knew it I had sent my deposit and it was a done deal.

If not for the camraderie of dealing with a fellow marathon runner, however, chances are that I would have selected Africa Serendipity since they offered every bit as good customer service and slightly better pricing.

I am not 100% sure about the different ground companies that are used by Africa Serendipity but I felt confident that I was dealing with a quality operation that knew exactly what I expected out of my safari. I will definitely contact Africa Serendipity again once I am ready for a return visit to East Africa.
Aug 19th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Roccco,
Thanks for that reply. You have reconfirmed my feeling that Africa Serendipity is a reliable and good company. Also I am reading of your great upcoming trip. Have a wonderful and safe journey. Anxious to hear all about it on your retun.
Aug 20th, 2005, 11:34 AM

Like Rocco, I also seriously considered Africa Serendipity for our trip this coming January. My contact was wonderful, helpful, and at noone's fault but my own, I contacted them quite late in my planning stage. By the time I received the first tentative itinerary with them, I was already finalizing an itin with another company, ATR. I knew I had to move on the flights, and I wanted to book quickly. I felt like if I waited to go back and forth (as I had about 3562 questions LOL) with Africa Serendipity, it may have been another 2 weeks before truly comparing companies, and I was afraid to wait that long.
In the short time I worked with them (roughly 2 weeks), I received tremendous customer service and response.
Please keep us posted on what they plan for you!
Dec 29th, 2005, 07:39 PM

Just came across this thread while doing research for my upcoming trip.

UPDATE:

I ended up booking my five night Zanzibar extension through Africa Serendipity (3 nights at Palms Zanzibar and 2 nights at Serena Inn). I just wasn't satisfied that I ever received any personal attention from ATR after my initial booking.

Although I do expect that ATR will provide me with a wonderful safari, I do like the personal attention that I have received with Africa Serendipity for my Zanzibar extension.

My safari is triple the price of my Zanzibar extension yet I have not received anything to date in the mail for my trip that is only 55 days away. This was booked in July, so ATR has had ample time to get me a welcome package or something, but has neglected to do so.

Africa Serendipity, on the other hand, sent me a beautiful package of useful information, each when I was initially shopping for my safari and after I booked my Zanzibar extension.

I do like dealing with one person, Sandi, for everything, rather than dealing with different people in different departments at ATR.
Dec 30th, 2005, 04:50 AM

My experience was exactly the same as BostonGal--not enough time to really work with African Serendipity and already working for a few weeks with ATR, so I continued with ATR and ultimately booked with them.
Dec 31st, 2005, 04:36 PM

I used Africa Serendipity to book a couple flights and lodge nights to follow a tented safari. Wonderful in regard to to the package, sent me a link to some her safaris pics, and asked me questions other agents didn't. I'll be taking the trip later this month, so I'll let you know in early February whether the charter plane really shows up!!!

Cheryl

Search this Thread