Singita Trip 2008

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Singita Trip 2008

I have been really wanting to see South Africa and especially have been anxious to go to Singita. I am wondering if anyone can tell me how early one needs to book to stay at Singita? I know there are not many rooms so I am trying to get an idea of when I need to contact them for a possible 2008 trip. (Boulders and Ebony look great.) I have been on the website and have tried to contact them to check on availabilities but never hear back from them? Is there a better way to do it?

Also what is the best time of year to visit and tour, safari, wine country?

From reading through the forum it seems like many people combine a couple of different resorts. I am wondering if we should do this or if we should just stay put at one for 4 days. I don't think we will be able to go for more than 8-10 days so I want to get the best opportunity to see great places but I don't want to be packing up and moving around too much.

Thanks!
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 02:15 PM
sandi

It's not too early to be planning a 2008 safari. Especially, if considering small luxury properties. It doesn't surprise that Singita didn't reply directly; there are too many travel agents or safari planners out there to do this for them.

Working with a good safari planner, they will be able to coordinate your land arrangements throughout South Africa.

You might want to contact:
Destiny Africa
Timeless Africa

both have US offices. Keep us posted as your plans progress.

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 02:26 PM

Travcarib - Suggest you add Africa Serendipity to your contact list, also in USA.
regards - tom
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 02:31 PM
sandi

cary - thanks, but I don't do SA and surrounds.

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 02:52 PM

never mind
regards - tom
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the tour operator information. I will be in touch with them.

Any suggestions on what time of year is best to go? We usually do our yearly trip in July- is this a good time to go there?

Also any suggestions on possible upscale, luxury places accesible to wine country if we chose to do that for a few days?
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 04:17 AM

I have not been to this place (we did not have time for wine country) but it is an Andrew Harper grand award winner. The pictures look very nice...

http://www.laresidence.co.za/pages/homepage.php

P.S. We were at Singita Ebony just over a year ago if you have any questions. I believe we had four days there which was nice.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 04:42 AM

We were at Singita Ebony for 4 days in early August. The weather was perfect, cool in early morning and evening, warm during the day. Everything about Singita was great. Service was impeccable, rooms were beautiful, wildlife viewing fabulous. We had lunch at Singita Boulders and thought it looked great too. The two lodges have very different feels to them. Ebony seemed a bit cozier, Boulders was more "zen-like." We met a few people who had divided their stays between the two. It would be nice to get both experiences, but our jeep mates were sorry they were moving to Boulders since they had gotten so comfortable at Ebony. I think it depends on how you feel about moving around. BTW, the two lodges are just a few minutes apart. After our jeepmates moved to Boulders, Singita arranged for them to remain with us and our ranger for the rest of their stay. We just swung by Boulders and picked them up in the jeep.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 07:12 AM
RSS

It is NOT too early to make reservations at Singita. They book up very quickly, and the properties are small. Use a travel agent!
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the information. I have read that Boulders just did some renovations and now there are more cozy feeling as well. From everything I have seen so far I am leaning towards Boulders. I don't know if I should also combine it with some days at Lebombo? Has anyone stayed there? Do you think it is a good idea to combine Boulders and Lebombo.

I am still debating the wine country because I am not sure if I have enough time to go there? If we do have time we are also thinking of possibly adding Seychelles on to the trip... I just don't know how much more expensive that will make the final cost?

Old Feb 7th, 2007, 12:34 PM
sandi

We stayed at Ebony during our '01 visit. Wanted Boulders, but no room available. So glad we got Ebony, though we did visit Boulders. Ebony, was so much warmers. Since then, both have been refurbished and have to wonder if the upcoming or recent work at Boulders wasn't due to feedback that the place wasn't as "warm" as Ebony.

As to the Seychelles, you'll have to watch flight schedules. Then decide where on these islands you wish to stay. If spending about $1,200/nt/person at Singita are you ready to spend the same or more at one of the private island resorts in SEZ, i.e. Fregate or North Islands, about $1,500/nt/person and helicopters to get to/from? These are the best of the best, North being on my very short "must, must visit". There are other small resorts on the main islands, of Mahe or Praslin, at lower prices.

It's going to have to depend on your budget and scheduling to get between Southern Africa and SEZ. It's actually easier to do SEZ, if visiting East Africa.

You've got lots to think about.

Old Feb 7th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

how far is the flight from South Africa to Seychelles? If it is going to be too complicated we may not do it....
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 01:49 PM

Hello,

Singita is a wonderful place -- I stayed there in July, and the service and game-viewing were both superb. I stayed at Ebony and also had a chance to visit the newly renovated Boulders (Ebony has also been renovated but it's a more subtle change). Personally, I prefer the new Boulders -- it does feel much warmer, and now has a sort of rustic-chic look, with greens and khakis rather than the pale blue which was prominent at the old Boulders and a lot of interesting textures with shaggy rugs and funky textiles.

You can see photos from the renovated lodges on the Safari Lodge Photo Album:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasher/sets/

The Seychelles are about a six-hour flight from Joburg. If you want something closer, you may want to consider Mozambique -- it's an up and coming destination which is still considered off the beaten track. There are flights direct from KMIA (just outside the Sabi Sands) to Vilanculos, and from there it's a quick boat transfer to the lodges in the southern archipelago, such as Benguerra (http://www.benguerra.co.za). The prices are also much less stratospheric than those in the Seychelles.

Alternatively, you could look at one of the places on the Indian Ocean in SA itself -- Rocktail Bay would make a nice beach option as well, though the diving and snorkelling will be better in Mozambique.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 04:24 PM

havent been to but have been to malamala which is close by . been there dec aug sep all good months
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 09:23 AM

You need to get a great travel agent immediately in order to book for 2008. We have used Ian Proctor of Ultimate Africa Safaris for the past two years and been quite satisfied and amazed at the great coordination between our flights and the safari camps. Do not try to do this yourself and call Ian at 1-800-461-0682.