Search

Advice for our trip to Morocco in March 2018 please

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2017, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice for our trip to Morocco in March 2018 please

Hi to all,

We are a mature couple travelling to Morocco in March 2018. We have been twice before (well my husband has been three times but the first time was in the 60’s so he doesn’t remember much of it for various reasons).

We’ve spent most of our time in the past from Marrakech south. Last time (Feb 2016) we finally did a trip out into the desert (Ouarzazate to Merzouga) and absolutely loved it.

We’ve never been to Chefchaouen though and want to… This time we fly into Casablanca (from Australia). We have about 2 1/2 weeks before we head across to Spain from Tangier.
and here’s the possible plan.

Day 1 Arrive and stay in Casablanca (Ibis at Casa Voyageurs) one night to rest after the long flight.
Day 2 – on to Meknes by first class train train – stay there 4 nights (we stayed in Fes about 20 years ago and found it a huge hassle but are willing to face it again to visit)
Day 6 – head to Moulay Idriss stay there 2 nights (visit Volubilis)
Day 8 – on to Chefchaouen stay there 3 nights (what’s the best way to get there?)
Day 11 – head to Asilah and stay there up to 4 nights, visiting Larache, Tetouan and anything else recommended – possibly by car…
Day 15 – Tangier for a couple of nights before we take the ferry to Spain.

We like to settle into places, get to know a few people, buy our own food at markets and cook at home. That said, we do like to get about and visit beautiful and/or interesting sites – love ancient ruins and great medinas/souks. Like gentle walks in lovely scenery but certainly not trekking.

Happy to rent a car for part of the trip. We have done self-drive in Morocco before although we do see lots of warnings about terrible rip-offs now.

We still wonder if we could fit in a trip down to Essaouira somehow because we just love it – but it does seem very far (ideas?).

I’d love some comments on this possible itinerary, advice about anything not to miss in the areas we are planning to visit, suggestions of places to stay, preferably with self-catering or ahred kitchens, even advice about whether we could possibly fit in a trip down to Essaouira?? Nothing is set in stone (except the first night in Casablanca) and the ferry to Spain sometime around 19th/20th March. Our budget is not too limited but certainly not 5 star. We like to keep under AUD$100 (725MAD) per night which seems quite possible in most places.

I've had so much help from Fodor people in the past, hope you have lots of good advice.
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 06:17 PM

I wouldn't bother trying to get back to Essaouira. Asilah and Larache should fill that niche. Have fun !
Old Dec 29th, 2017, 03:00 AM
Original Poster

Yes you are probably right. Any comments on the rest of the trip? THings we shouldn't miss?
Old Dec 29th, 2017, 09:01 AM

No, I think you have it all covered. 4 nights in Meknes might be a bit much. You should revisit Fes and from there take a grand taxi to Chaouen.
Old Dec 29th, 2017, 03:03 PM

Hi, yeshekathy,
I have no suggestions to add, but I think your trip sounds fantastic! Your itinerary Includes several places that intrigue me, and you’re giving yourselves enough time to get a good taste of the places. I love that you’re staying in Moulay Idriss, too, which looks especially interesting.

As my husband and I are going to Morocco for our first time in April, we are doing a very typical tour stopping in the main sights, so have nothing to add except that I really love your trip plans!
Old Dec 29th, 2017, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Hi progol, I suspect you will find you want to return. There is just so much to do an see, and Morocco is such a surprising destination. The first time I went was way back in 1989 and I was expecting desert I think. We ferried across from Spain without much preparation.
The beauty of the spring flowers and the lushness was amazing! Then last time we went out into the desert and adored it!! On my birthday we went from the heat of the desert up to deep snow on the high Atlas - in fact the road was closed for some hours and our driver found me a cake which we had, with candles, in the four wheel drive as it snowed lightly outside. Such memories!
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 01:24 AM

Thanks, yeshekathy! I'm sure I'll want to return as there are so many places we don't have time to visit. My difficulty is that now, as I am getting close to retirement, there are just SO many places to visit! But who knows what the future will bring?!

Thanks for sharing your lovely memories - what a great image of someone searching out a birthday cake, with candles, and celebrating your birthday in your vehicle while it's snowing!
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

I did a trip report from that lovely trip in case you'd like to read it... https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi....html#74699762

pity these things do seem to get lost after a while.
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 05:00 AM

yeshekathy,
Thanks so much for the link to your report! I love it! I read through it quickly and will read it later when I have more time to savor it. Many thanks for sharing this.

Paule
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 08:10 AM

We hired a private guide in Meknčs and he took us on a day trip to Volubilis. We visited Moulay Idriss on the way back. In those days, non-Muslims were not allowed to stay in the town after sunset, or so we were told. But from what we saw, I think that just a day trip as we did it would suffice, and would mean less time spent moving form one location to the other.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca...870770847/show