Morocco Itinerary Advice, Fes / Fez, Marrakech, Essaouira 5/6 nights

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a trip to Morocco in early October and were looking for some itinerary advice.

I would like to spend 5/6 nights in Morocco and definitely want to hit Fes / Fez, Marrakech and Essaouira. In order to reduce transportation logistics I plan on flying into Fez and flying out of Essaouira.

Questions:
- I've heard that Marrakech is a must, but that most ppl prefer spending more time in Fez and Essaouira. I have 5-6 nights in Morocco, if I want to hit those three spots, which one would be best for only one night, the others spending two? Also want to consider bang for the buck since I've read that Marrakech is much more expensive than the other two spots.

- I plan on taking the train from Fez to Marrakech, what's the best way to get from Marrakech to Essaouira? I've heard the bus can be unreliable / time consuming. Should I hire a taxi or ask hotel to arrange a driver? What would the cost of this be?

- My Fodors guide book says that hotel prices in Morocco are negotiable, yet hotel web sites have prices posted. How does this work? Should I call to make / negotiate reservations and does that give appropriate confirmation? I want to have hotels lined up well before my trip.

- Although I don't believe my itinerary has time to visit the dunes I want to see some camels and maybe have a touristy picture on one. I feel silly asking this question, but will I see camels in any of the locations I plan on visiting? Is it possible to do a partial day trip on a camel? If so, is this best done in Fez, Marrakech or Essaouira?

Thank you for your input!

Kristen
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 09:37 AM

I'm making the same trip next month, and I'm in the planning stages as well. Let me know if you hear anything from anyone, and I'll let you know any useful info when I get back!
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 12:18 AM

Sounds like a good trip! A few comments: you can't fly out of Essaouira - it will have to be Marrakech.
There's always a debate about whether Fez is more interesting than Marrakech. But if you haven't been to either, then it would be best to see both. As you only have 5 or 6 six nights, I'd suggest you divide your time equally between the two cities. You can do a day trip to Essaouira from Marrakech. The CTM bus is reliable, or you can hire a 'grand taxi' yourself. The journey is around 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
Marrakech is not more expensive than Fez and Essaouira. In fact it's cheaper, because there are so many guesthouses. You'll find Fez is the most expensive of the lot.
It's unlikely that you could negotiate hotel prices anywhere in Morocco - that piece of advice simply isn't true.
Take a look at The View from Fez blog http://riadzany.blogspot.com for ideas on where to stay. It also has interesting stories on all aspects of Morocco, especially Fez.
Normally you need to give your credit card details to make a reservation.
I don't think you'll come across any camels on your proposed itinerary ... but maybe you'll get lucky!
Final bit of advice: bear in mind that distances are great in Morocco (eg train between Marrakech and Fez takes 8 hours), so don't try to cram in too many places.
Have a great trip!
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great info!

Helen, I am a little confused regarding your note about not being able to fly out of Essaouira.. Royal Air Maroc offers a flight from Essaouria to Paris, am I misunderstanding something?

Thank you!

Kristen
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 04:38 AM

Hi Kristen
I see I was wrong - there are now flights out of Essaouira to Europe! Sorry ...