Search

Abu Simbel

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2010, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Abu Simbel

can u give me your opinions on whether to try to see Abu Simbel if at all possible. I don't have too much time but hear it's quite special.
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 12:00 AM

I think this is SUCH a personal decision that you should read as much about it as you can and make your own decision. You will be either on the side of

A) Temple OverLoad and why did we see one more temple

or

B) WOW this is the best temple of them all and no one ever should miss it.

Have you traveled to somewhere like Bangkok or England where you might see Cathedral after Cathedral or Temple after Temple? What was your feeling on that? Do you get overload after 3 or maximum 4? The same thing can happen with Pharonic Temples, unless you are REALLY into them.
Abu Simbal is either 1) a pretty major time investment if you drive there, or 2) a pretty expensive money invenstment if you fly there. It is very cool, but if your time or money is limited, you and only YOU have to make that call. There are LOADS of things you will miss when here for a short time, so do you make Abu Simbal one of them or not?

Sorry for not being more decisive for you, but it really is your call. I've seen it twice, but I have all the time in the world to see it. I would only go again if there were an excursion with people I wanted to go with anyway that was affordable.... I don't love it any more than that.
Others, no doubt, are going to say it is a MUST SEE.
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 04:12 AM

+1

"Is it worth it?" is probably the silliest question people ever ask.
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 05:09 AM

Don't miss it! Take time from someplace else.

Pat
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 07:36 AM

One of the highlights of my trip to Egypt but then I am old enough to remember the pictures of it being relocated in National Geographic and Life magazines when I was little.Our whole family thought it was wonderful and even more magical when the tour bus groups left. We flew down there(which I highly recommend and well worth the money versus the time and effort of the bus). After around 930am the place became almost totally empty which was really fun for pictures and more in depth exploring. Try and sit on the left side of the plane as you come into it as the views from the plane were amazing!
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 07:42 AM

Yes, see it. It is quite special.
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 01:13 PM

Debbie is spot on... a personal decision. But a visit to Abu Simbel doesn't have to take that much time. Whether flying or driving it's only half a day.

Depending on the balance of your itinerary whether from Cairo or already down Luxor or Aswan,
- you can fly direct from Cairo, visit the site and fly back to Aswan for Nile Cruise. Or
- if already in Aswan, an early morning start for drive thru the desert, visit and back to Aswan.

Check out your options... flying is more expensive, but more comfortable than the drive thru desert.
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 05:10 PM

I thought there had been a thread recently where I copied some previous threads on this subject - but I can't seem to find it.

Dang....just one of those nights! I'll keep looking!
Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 04:07 AM

Having been to Egypt twice, and not going the first time, and waiting 30 years until the second, when we did go, I'd say it's a definite DO NOT MISS!

As mentioned above, you will go to temple, after temple, after temple, and you might think, 'oh no, not another temple!', BUT: if you have a great guide all the way, when you get to Abu Simbel you will still be awestruck! We were on a tour, and everyone who took the optional extra LOVED it! We were all speechless, our mouths hanging open in awe. I felt so bad for the people who did not go that I just told them it was ok, very good, and left it at that.

None of the photos of the outside of the temples prepare you for what you will see. It's the INSIDE of the temples that is just mind blowing. HUGE! And knowing they were cut up, moved, and re-constructed is almost impossible to imagine. And the art is different largely political propaganda in the south of the country, for those who would consider a war with Egypt, or just chest thumping and showing off by Pharaoh. Really interesting.

We flew down from Aswan (i think) at the crack of dawn and then flew from Abu Simbel to Cairo. We paid US$500 ea for this extra, and we both think it was worth every single penny.

I feel sorry for people who are templed out and don't go, because to me their guides didn't give them enough information everywhere to make it exciting and awe inspiring.
Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 04:22 AM

I think it depends a lot on what time of the day you see AS. My first site of AS was around 3 pm when the sun was already behind the temples. At this point the temples took on a dull greyish color and was not attractive at all, IMO. I came back later in the evening for its S&L show; The images projected onto the temples were amazing, I thought, and the temples looked great spot-lit when the show was over. I then came back the next morning at 5AM, and the Ramses temple really look gorgeous bathed in the warm light of the rising sun.
Old Nov 26th, 2010, 04:03 AM

Abu Simbel temples & Karnak temples are the most famous temples; you can't miss it you can visit there through 3 ways like Flight air, Private van or collective bus
Flight is expensive more than private
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 06:16 PM

Even thougt I had some tummy issues and it was so hot I felt lethargic I am so glad we saw it. I am also glad we stayed the night-that way it wasn't as draining. We were on a 3 hour convoy from Aswan I think 11AM-checking into our hotel-had a bite to eat-then saw the temple and sound & light show that was spectacular. The small B&B hotel Eskaleh Eco Lodge had the best AC in all of Egypt-it actually worked.Awsome is all I can say=Chris Hi Debbie