Search

Abu Simbel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2010, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Abu Simbel

I have read the trip reports, guide books and looked at photos...but I am sorry this place isn't grabbing me and I am contemplating leaving it out of my plans. If I include it, I don't think I will have enough time to do an overnighter there, so will take the early plane it and late am fly out route. I know it is only half a day but…here is the question "Is it worth it"

There are few "greats" of the world that I was unsure of, and my visit confirmed it - for example, Great Wall of China, Uluru (Ayres Rock) and Stonehenge - wonders that other people loved but did not do much for us. I have a feeling that Abu Simbel is going to be one of those places for us, but don’t want to exclude it from the itinerary because of a mis-informed view. (Places that did resonate Taj Mahal, Barrier Reef, Kerela Backwaters, Uxmal, Venice)

Many thanks for the input
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 06:33 AM

From a scale perspective, it can't be beat. For me, my amazement at it was in part due to the engineer in me who couldn't believe they could actually MOVE something of that size. But I've always wanted to see it so that was a bigger factor. We stayed over because I thought the idea of the flying in and out was exhausting, so in that respect, I'd say it's probably a skip it for you.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 06:33 AM

I think it will be hard for people to answer this question in a way that is meaningful for you, because what's "worth it" for one person may not be "worth it" for another. Many, many people say that Abu Simbel was the highlight (or at least one of the highlights) of their trip to Egypt. I have read some reports, though, where people came away feeling like it was just another temple to check off the list. I thought it was worth it, and was glad I didn't miss it, simply because of the sheer scale of the temples and the knowledge that they had been moved, piece by piece, in order to escape inundation by Lake Nasser. Most people, I think, do it in a 1/2 day as you are contemplating, and it does make for a long day. If I had it to do over, I would do it again (in a perfect world, I would probably take the time to overnight there in order to see the temples at night).
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 07:43 AM

I also was underwhelmed by Stonehenge but I enjoyed Uluru, partly because I was there at sunrise when it was gorgeous colors.

I loved Abu Simbel, though it was a different feeling than the other temples. Part of it was just the feeling of "oh holy buckets, they moved THAT!?!?" Both temples are enormous, and no matter how many times I was told that it's impossible to believe it was moved I was skeptical. I was impressed, I would never have guessed. I flew from Aswan in the morning and back to Aswan in the early afternoon. I didn't think it was tiring to fly down and back in the same day, it's a quick flight from Aswan.

I traveled with a tour and I think the trip to Abu Simbel was $200-something and definitely worth it to me.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 07:46 AM

Worth it to me...for sure

I was not disappointed in the least
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 08:24 AM

You seem to be a very sophisticated traveller so what grabs you may be different than what grabs a person who has experienced less than you. I agree that the Great Wall was a disappointment as were the terra cotta warriors but for myself Abu Simbel was one of the major highlights of the Egypt trip.If your limitation is time then perhaps there are other things you may want to do but as long as you have time for Luxor, Valley of the Kings/queens Edfu, Kom obo, Giza . the museum and can fit in Abu Simbel I would rewcommend you go.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for the very thoughtful replies.

Twelveoaks - forgot about the warriors. I had a similar reaction - but it wasn't a trek to get to them (from what I can remember).

This is very useful input to me - I agree abby that it is difficult for one person to tell another what is "worth it" to them, but this is helping and appreciate all the comments.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 09:00 AM

I agree that what one person thinks is worthwhile might be different than someone else. That being said, I was underwhelmed by Abu Simbel. I agree it was just another site to 'check off my list'. For me, the highlights of the trip were the Pyramids and the Museum of Antiquities.

We're going to Petra this Fall so I hope it will be more interesting than Abu Simbel!
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 10:03 AM

Me-International flight attendant who has traveled alot of the world. Abu Simbel-was amazing and well worth it!
I understand when you say that some things aren't worth it but getting up early and taking the flight there to see this magnificent temple and area was one of the highlights of my recent trip to Egypt and Jordan.
As I said in a thread that I started about Abu Simbel tips-all of the bus/car people leave around 930am so if you are fortunate to not have a return plane until after 1030am or 1100am you will have the place to yourself with just the guards which is magical!
I don't know how old you are but for those of us growing up in the 1960's who read Life magazine's article about moving these statues to a higher level it was surreal seeing them.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 11:05 AM

airline spouse here--traveled ALL over the world and missed Abus Simbel the first time due to time/expense. I am taking Boss to Egypt next month and would NOT have him miss it. (ps--Stonehenge was a dud to me!!)
AB SIM is such a great accomplishment. I never thot I'd enjoy the High Dam but I said the same about Itaipu (Brasil) and it blew me away. Never thot I'd find Panama Canal so cool and we only did the Miraflores Locks. You don't have to spend the $$ and fly-you can take oh-dark-hundred convoy. We plan to take the later one and take our time.
Something for everyone!
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 11:52 AM

On a side note, I do still wonder who got so utterly drunk that they said "hey, lesh move the tandpoles at aboooo thimble!"

It worked, but I still think moving all of those temples (I think 13 were moved due to Lake Nasser) was the result of either a really long night of drinking, or an acid trip.

Old Jan 14th, 2010, 11:59 AM

My Canadian sister in law took me to a salmon farm in Vancouver. She was embarassed at going and said "don't tell my friends". At the end of it she said "that was really cool". I loved it too.. so you never know!!
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 01:19 PM

I'm headed there in March and really looking forward to it.. I wont be flying to Abu Simbel, but going by car from Aswan.. I think what I am looking forward to the most is what I hear is a pretty wild convoy of tour vehicles to the site!..
I agree about Stonehenge though.. It was just a pile of rocks to me, but I'm still glad I went to see it.
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 07:28 AM

My family, including my two sons 27 and 29 wouldn't have missed it for the world! We LOVED it. It was one of our highlights. After Luxor and Karnak, this was the BEST (and the pyramids of course. and talk about a great photo op!!
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 07:29 AM

P.S. Bring those small rolls of Charmin toilet paper. You won't be sorry. I don't know about you but ONE square of toilet paper, which i had to PAY for, just doesn't do it for me!
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 12:45 PM

During our trip in 2006 we chose to do a camel ride to St. Simeon's Monastery instead of Abu Simbel. I wanted to camel ride and actually by then we had seen so many other temples I didn't miss seeing it. And we sure didn't miss the 3AM wakeup call to catch the fight. We did get some pictures taken by other persons in our party who went and it is a neat looking site but I enjoy looking at our camel pictures also. Everybody has to make their on decision and live with it. By the way, I loved Stonehenge. We took a special access tour and got to get up close and personal with the stones.

Julie
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 02:37 PM

The interiors of both temples are quite amazing but you have to be somewhat into Egyptian art - huge wall works with color intact, room after room.

The sculptures outside are enormous. I saw it on a day when it was over 100 degrees with no shade and I had stupidly not brought liquids with me, so I was not in a mood to enjoy it barely being able to walk and yet I'm glad I saw it all.

I came back and sent for movies of it as I did not get to spend enough time wandering the rooms inside. And I got the Life and Nat'l Geos from 1969, which showed how they transported this huge scene cut out of where it had been (the statues' heads cut in half) and raised way above, safe from the waters, with a new structure built above that holds it all up.

I will, eventually put up photos I took and a videoclip of what it looked like.

If the pictures you've seen have not interested you, I imagine you might not be drawn to it in person either, but it's hard to say.

Good luck on your decision.

- Andrys
http://www.pbase.com/andrys/egypt_jordan
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 07:25 PM

For me Abu Simbel is a must see. I thought it was magnificent. I even went on the 4am convoy, on a rackety old bus (my first time in Egypt) and had a really bad tummy bug, was really sick when I got there and everything that could have went wrong went wrong.

All of that in mind, Abu Simbel blew me away, and I would always say to anyone going to Egypt, try to get to Abu Simbel.

It is also one of the 50 things to do before you die on the BBC Worldwide public vote in 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBHjI8Dj7iA

Scotsgirl
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 11:50 AM

I agree that StoneHenge was underwhelming but a lot of it has to do with the season and time of the day you see it and if you're familiar with the history behind it. If you visit midday in the summer with the harsh sun brightly overhead then yeah it look just like a bunch of rocks, LOL. I wish I could've seen it at dawn or dusk. It's all about the lighting

The Great Wall... which part of the Wall did you see? When I was in China two years ago during late Oct/Nov timeframe, I visited Simatai and Mitnyaui (can't remember correct spelling). Mitnayuai was surrounded with tree in their fall colors, and it was gorgeous even in midday. Simatai had dusting of snow on ground and was remote and gorgeous also.

If I make it to Egypt this Spring then I plan to overnight at Abu Simbel so that I can see it in the late afternoon, at night and early in the morning

Does anyone know if it's possible to do a climb to get a high view looking down at Abu Simbel?
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 08:47 AM

We love Abu Simbel. It was a feat of engineering moving these rock carved temples. It's fabulous and a must to see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -