Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

9 hour layover at JNB - AF/KLM Lounge or Day Room?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're flying on points (Business) from JNB to AMS (then onto YYZ) - we arrive at JNB about 3pm and our AMS flight doesn't leave until 00:45am - is the AF/KLM lounge fairly comfortable for that time or alternatively a local B&B has been suggested for the afternoon/early evening (African Dreams Guesthouse).

I posted this on flyertalk.com where I was advised that there the KLM lounge has been folded into the Air France Lounge which also serves Kenya Airways. Some have commented that the lounge is really crowded.

Any recent experiences? Thx
Old Oct 18th, 2009, 07:05 AM

I just had to spend a couple of hours in the AF lounge which was more than enough for me! It was fairly crowded(late aft.) and there is food/drink but it's not a particularly comfortable lounge and if it was me, I would definitely get a dayroom.
Old Oct 18th, 2009, 08:39 AM

Taking into account disembarking/embarking the airport leave you with approx. 4-5 hrs free roaming time if going to the city.

As you are flying during night time and business offers the opportunity to get a hat full of sleep I would rather take a taxi and have a nice dinner in a good restaurant before flying out. Or have a dinner and a massage at a good hotel.

As I love the www.saxon.co.za I would definitely go there, have a massage, lay on the pool, have dinner and drive back to the airport at around 21.30hrs.

Or if that's not your cup of tea you might just go to the Airport Interconti, leave your luggage with concierge and spend the time there.

I would not book a particular dayroom.

Somehow it seems the lounges at OR TAMBO are all not that appealing. LH last April was also extremely crowded.

SV
Old Oct 18th, 2009, 10:12 AM

Not familiar with any of the JNB airline lounges. But as SV says the Intercontinental just across the street is very a comfortable way to spend a few hours.

regards - tom
Old Oct 18th, 2009, 09:34 PM

There is also the Protea transit hotel in the airport...you don't need to clear immigrations or customs. You could get a room for a few hours there.
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all - from the sounds of it the lounge isn't an option! Will explore these alternatives. We're flying in to JNB from Livingstone on SAA - I hope we can check our bags through to YYZ at the outset but possibly not.
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 07:43 AM

I regularly book a room at the Sun, we arrive from Mala Mala around 1:30, pick up bags, walk across to the hotel and check in. We can have lunch, take a nap, watch TV, work out (the gym has amazing views of the runways) then shower, change clothes and catch the 9pm flight to London. And if the Sun is a bit pricey, I'm pretty sure you could do as wel staying at the hotels with free shuttles to the airport often mentioned here.
I would not fancy 9 hours in the Virgin Upper Class Lounge at Heathrow let alone any of the lounges at JNB.
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 09:29 AM

napamatt_2 - do you mean the "Intercontinental" of the "Southern Sun"? And a day room there, same price as overnight, about $250?

The Emperors Palace complex has several hotels varying price ranges. It is short 5-10 minute shuttle ride with the shuttles running every 20 min.

regards - tom
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 09:31 AM

I asked about a dayroom at the IC last month and it was $300 but I believe you can pay a charge to use the pool/gym or get a massage and use the facilities. Their restaurant is excellent too.
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 09:11 AM

We did the day room at the Intercontinental. Just cross the street outside the international terminal. Very nice and comfortable rooms.