6 Nights in Cape Town - Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What would you do with 6 nights in the Cape Town area? Would you only spend 3 nights in CT then venture out to Winelands, Hermanus - or even toward the Garden Route? Can I make it all the way to Oudtshoorn and back to CT for my flight w/ the 3 days? Is it worth it? Just wanted to hear some different opinions.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 11:29 AM

Possible suggestions for CT:
Robben Island - 1/2 day
Table Mountain - 1/2 day
Greenmarket Square/Long St./Red Bus/Camps Bay - full day
Township tour - 1/2 day

Day trips:
Winelands
Shark diving
bungi jumping

These are the ones I came up off the top of my head. I was living in Obs for about 6 weeks back in April & May of 2006 so I was able to leisurely partake in the many activities CT and the surrounding area had to offer.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 02:12 AM

Any rough idea of costs of these trips, my wife's brother and his wife are heading to Cape Town for some conference but she would like to do some trips that are well organised and perhaps cover the whole day, can you do the winelands in a day without having too long a drive ?
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Yes, the winelands are well with in driving distance. About an hour away from Cape Town.

Would anyone recommend driving to the Western Cape - Or heading toward the Garden Route - Oudtshoorn to ride the Ostrich's?? Or is that not really doable along w/ Cape Town in 6 days? Too far?
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 06:40 AM

Tickets to Robben Island are always sold out for days to a week in advance. Get them ahead of time.
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 09:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi Naplo - not been yet [booked for july '07] starting off with 4 nights in Cape Town. We did consider just 3 nights plus one in the Winelands, but as we have our kids with us, they like staying still, and the winelands are only about an hour's drive. Hermanus is about 2 I think.

Depending on when you are going, would you consider booking just the first three nights, then deciding - you could always book ahead while you're there!

i felt that there is plenty to fill 3 days in an around Cape town itself; add in a bit of shopping and jet lag and I felt we should stay there for 4 nights. but if there are just two of you, you may be able to be more flexible.

Good Luck!

PS RBCAl - how do you pre-book Robbin Island?
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 03:08 AM

You didn't say when you are going -- remember that June, July & August can be pretty chilly & damp in Capetown.
You could certainly do the winelands as a one-day trip, or as an overnight, staying perhaps in Franschoek or Paarl. Hermanus is pleasant, but probably not worth an overnight if it is not whale-watching season. I think the Garden Route/Oudtshoorn are a bit too much to attempt in 3 days.
A couple of other things I'd add to your Capetown to-do list: Take a day trip out to Cape Point, and visit the Kirschtenbosch botanical gardens. I did both of these with 2 kids, ages 8 & 9, and they loved it. You might consider renting a car for a day or two, as it gives you more flexibility than taking bus tours.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

We are going for the last week of July, 1st week in August. Will the winelands be any good this time of year?

We plan to rent a car and do at least the Cape Peninsula, Robben Island, Table Mountain, and a day cage diving w/ the Great Whites.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 07:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi, Naplo - you're going att he same time as us - perhaps if we both pray for good weather, we'll be lucky.

It is the right season for whale watching and we are just going to risk it that Cape town weather won't be too bad. It's the only time we can take with our kids this year, so we had no choice. If I did, I think i would pick Sept/Oct or April/May, when the weather should be better. [no whales in april/may, though]

at least it's cheap[er]!
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 10:24 AM

Ive heard that a place called the Spier estate (wine country) is amazing and worth a day trip.
Ive also heard that CT city centre isnt that nice to stay in, so better to stay elsewhere where its nicer, prettier, safereg waterfront or camps bay or winelands - youll have to take cabs or hire a car everywhere anyway - and that applies to both women and men.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 11:19 AM

Spier Estate is too touristy for my taste. The scenery is much nicer and more natural in the Stellenbosch area. I've been to Spier as a last resort and spent most of my time laying on the grass by the lake. You could spend about an hour there and be happy that you covered everything you needed to.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 05:31 PM

Spier Winery (on the way to Stellenbosch) is a bit 'touristy', but the place has some good restaurants. Moya restaurant is a blast with a group of people - gives you a 'taste' of Africa. If the weather is good, a picnic lunch on the lawns near the small lake is lots of fun. Where else in the world can you pet (at a cost, of course) young cheetah. Spier is well worth a stop, and maybe half a day if a meal is included.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 06:30 PM

Yes Spier is a bit touristy, but it is still pretty and if you go during the week, it won't be as bad. But try to find some of the smaller ones, where you can just walk in and taste whatever you want - for free.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

How is Camps Bay as a place to stay in Cape Town? I found this awesome 3 BR waterfront apartment that we can stay in for a very reasonable rate. How far is it from restaurants, bars, V&A, Table mountain and other Cape Town tourist areas and highlights? I'm going the last week of July.

I know it can be "cold and rainy" in July but I'm from the Northeast US - I'm used to very cold and very rainy. We're also going on safari and its a good time for that.

Love to hear your opinions. Thanks.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 06:42 AM

Camps Bay isnt central, but only a 10 min taxi ride from V&A waterfront. Its got lovely sea views and nice restaurants and bars locally.

I found Hermanus a bit overrated and I'd consider staying somewhere quieter in the Winelands and driving down to Hermanus for a day for the whale-watching. We did enjoy some excellent food in Hermanus though.

If you have the inclination to drive, I'd recommend venturing as far out as Kynsna or even Tsitsikamma.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 06:44 AM

My husband and I spent a 4 days in April 2005 in Cape Town and 3 days in Hermanus. If you want the safari experience while in Cape Town, there are 1 day tours that leave at 6am - 3hr drive to a private preserve for a great safari. Don't have the name of the safari, but can get find it if you're interested. This is a company recommended by our hosts in Hermanus [email protected] / www.adventureworld.co.za

Also, we spent a few days at an amazing guesthouse in Hermanus [email protected] - the hosts Petro & Manus helped arrange shark cage diving that we did in nearby gansbai that was an experience of a lifetime! You can also find tour companies to take you to gansbai for a day - but makes for an all day exersion b/c it is approx 1.5-2hr hrs away from capetown. You do not need a tour for table mountain - can cab it there and do yourself. Shark cage diving was about $100 per person R720 at the time - well worth it to do it with the company that Petro arranged with - the guide has been profiled on TV as the premier expert on swimming with great whites. Have an amazing trip - hope this helps!
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Do you think we're better off staying near the V&A waterfront? Or is Camps Bay worth staying in if we have an awesome apartment w/ great views?

We're all set w/ safari thanks - going to Kruger for 6 nights.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 07:12 AM

Its a diificult one to answer and a matter of personal choice.

Walking around downtown Capetown after dark isnt recommended. Taxis are cheap, so you may as well stay somewhere with nice views and use cabs to get around.

We grew tired of V&A waterfront after 2 visits (its just a big mall after all). If you are going to be based in Cape Town and going on various sightseeing trips, then Camps Bay with amazing view would be my preferred choice.

We stayed near V&A (Breakwater Lodge, I think) and I wouldnt stay in that area again.