3 nights in Cape Town, South Africa

Sep 6th, 2007, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

3 nights in Cape Town, South Africa

I have been reading the Forum to find out more about my impending trip to Cape Town in mid-November 2007. Need some advice.

We are a party of three, myself (50s) my husband (60s)(still young at heart and reasonably fit!!) and our young son (13). I know three days is really short but we are on transit to Kenya and Uganda where we will spend three weeks.

This is our first visit to Cape Town and I'd really like to cover the Winelands. My son's classmates did the Canopy Tour a couple of years ago so he is keen to experience that.

Would it be a real sin if we don't cover the truly touristy sights in Cape Town? What is NOT to be missed?

Many thanks.
Sep 6th, 2007, 04:51 AM

Only you can answer what is not to be missed as the criteria are different for each of us.

But for me, having grown up in the UK during the Apartheid years where support for Mandela was strong, I was very keen to visit Robben Island during our Cape Town visit. Visiting the top of Table Mountain was also high on my list.

As for the rest, well I had 5 or 6 nights in Cape Town plus 3 in the Winelands plus a whole lot more for the Garden Route so managed most (but not all) of what I wanted to see in Cape Town, along the peninsula, in the winelands and along the Garden Route.

Certainly you could do a couple of days within Cape Town, including the peninsula or winelands, as you prefer. If you can book the services of a local guide such as Selwyn (who posts on this board) so much the better as he can really maximise the limited time you have available.

Unless thereís a second canopy tour location it doesnít make sense to travel all the way over to Tsitsikamma for that activity when you have such limited time. Itís a pretty darn long way.
Sep 7th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Kavey for your comments. Gives me something to work on. Looks like the Canopy Tour will have to wait.
Sep 7th, 2007, 02:32 PM

hi, marigo,

we had three days/four nights in CPT in July this year.

the reason the really touristy sights are really touristy is cos they are really good!

IMO you should not miss the following:

table mountain [1/2 day]
kirstenbosch gardens [1/2 day]
cape of good hope [whole day, but you can see the penguins at Boulders Beach on the way there, and Chapman's Drive on the way back, and end up at signal Hill for the sunset]
Slave lodge museum in CPT [near the cathedral] [1/2 day]

things we didn't do that other people have enjoyed:
robben island trip [1/2 day]
waterfront aquarium

you have enough to fill more than 3 days there. If you go to the winelands, you will either have to do a 1/2 day, and won't see much, or a whole day, in which case you'll miss a lot in CPT.

If I were you, I'd stick to CPT - your 13 year old won't enjoy the winelands much!

regards, ann
Sep 7th, 2007, 03:14 PM

I agree that Robben Island is a must see. However, you won't be able to see it unless you get tickets in advance. They are always sold out for days to weeks in advance.
Sep 7th, 2007, 10:18 PM

IMO,

can't miss ....

winelands incl cheetah research center across from Spier!
Robben island
table mountain
Cape of good hope
Boulders beach for the penguins.
Camps bay/bantry bay (Cape town at it's best ....)
Sep 8th, 2007, 03:48 AM

Check the weather forecasts a few days before - if you're lucky and a clear, not too windy day can be expected, do the Table Mountain that morning!
Everything else could still be done next tine you're in the area.