5 days alone in Durban

Aug 27th, 2005, 01:33 AM
Original Poster

5 days alone in Durban

Hi
I am a hip, stylish, traveller (female), rather fearless, who loves animals, antiques & junkshops, fashion, art, photos & children.
Am going to be spending 5 days in Durban next month, & am looking for fun/cultural/shopping activites to do there.
Can anybody please advise?
Also would like to eat delicious food (vegetarian options particularly!) in beautiful surroundings, especially by the sea.
After I shall be going on safari for 8 days.
All information welcome, & thank you!
Aug 27th, 2005, 02:30 AM

Is the safari segment already booked or do you require input on that also?

Durban has a huge Indian population so you should be able to find lots of great Indian vegetarian food.

Seafood too is readily available along the coast - are you a vegetarian who makes an exception for sea creatures or a true vegetarian?

Aug 27th, 2005, 06:39 AM

Can you share some details of your planned trip (where are you staying in Durban and what are your safari plans).

I ask b/c I will in that area next July and am just putting trip together. I'm considering Royal Hotel Durban (but I only have one night in Durban) and then up to parks in Kwazuzu-Natal, particularly Hluhluwe.

Thanks, Michael
Aug 27th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Hi
To answer both questions:
the safari is already organised.
What looks the best & easiest game park to get to from Durban is Phinda, & we are driving there from Durban.
It seems to have a variety of locations, masses of animals to see and lots of great activities.
We are also going afterwards to Londolozi & Royal Malewane.
As for food: Indian vegetarian is perfect, if the location & decor is charming? Any recommendations?
I'm afraid I'm a true veggie & eat no seafood either!
What are the new exciting places in Durban to go to?!! I care more about atmosphere and a buzz, than the contents of my plate!
Sep 4th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Original Poster

Hi
Only a few days to go before leaving for Durban & am still hoping somebody reading this can give me some precise info?
Thanks
Plum
Sep 5th, 2005, 01:41 AM

No specific recommendations as we chose not to stop in Durban on our trip but you might be able to find some local Durban websites with this kind of information and also search on arrival for any local publications along the lines of Time Out?
Sep 5th, 2005, 01:45 AM

Here are a few sites I found:

http://durban.kzn.org.za/durban/

http://www.world66.com/africa/southa...rban/eatingout

http://lifestyle.iafrica.com/dining/

You could also check out pages on Virtual Tourist - sometimes include restaurant recommendations.

Sep 5th, 2005, 06:16 AM

plumette, I'm hoping you'll be able to answer your questions after your return, so I can learn from your trip prior to mine next Summer. Thanks, Michael
Sep 8th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help!
There don't seem to be too many Durbanites reading this thread!
Plum
Sep 9th, 2005, 09:17 AM

Hello and hopfeully this gets to you in the nick of time?

Durban has plenty restaurants and intriguing markets, all dotted around the city.
Better restauraunts are probably in the area called Kloof, La lucia and Berea.

If you wanted to drive, go up to Hotel Izulu, great food wonderful wine cellar and gorgeous hotel, pricey though.

If arts and crafts are your seen, I would urge you to reduce your time in Durban by three days and do the scenic drive through the valley of a thousand hills and in a "round about" way get to Phinda. This partciular route is called "the midlands meander" and takes you through the rolling hills below the drakensberg through towns and farms that have b&bs and assortment of artisans who produce a great variety of stuff.
Have a look at this link & you'll be absorbed for hours.
http://midlands.kzn.org.za/midlands

Search this Thread