Search

South Africa: Parts 1 & 2

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2003, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South Africa: Parts 1 & 2

Hi All,

A few tales from the road! So many things happened in the first week already! I'll keep it brief...

Part 1: Johannesburg and Kruger Game Park.

J-burg: big city.
Kruger - the drive up an back was beautiful. The mountains, the trees, very beatiful!

We only had a half day in Kruger and it was unbelievable! Buffalo, elephant herd (surrounding our car nonetheless), hippo, black rhino, zebra, giraffe, giraffe, giraffe!, warthog to name a few!

Then we went up to the Cheetah Reserve to see Cheetah - of course - and then a white rhino that used our jeep as a back scratcher. She didn't want to move so we indulged her for about 20 minutes!

Our car broke down and we were stuck at Sudwala Caves - fortunately, Pierre's had room at the inn and it was a quaint little place to get stuck in!

Part 2: Cape Town
I was a bit under the weather yesterday and the doctor made a hotel call! Who would have thunk it? Made it around the shopping extravaganza of the Waterfront - a shoppers paradise if you are into such things.

Today, I went out with Hylton Ross for a Cape Point Day tour. Another amazing day. the weather was everything: sunny, torential rains, hurricane winds! We saw breaching whales along the way! Cape Point/Cape of Good Hope was just beautiful and clear. The clouds were very moody over Table Mountain but that just added to the atmosphere. Wild ostriches were walking around and we saw the Kirstenboch Botannical Gardens in the rain. I wish the rains were lighter!

Well, I am running out of time on the computer! More later! Off to Namibia tomorrow! Part 3! It just keeps on getting better and better!!!

Kim
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 11:28 AM

Wow you guys are really covering a lot of ground fast...I hope you can avoid anymore of that "under the weather" time.
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 01:39 PM

Sound like you had a great trip...we're leaving oct 7 & are very excited...alittle concerned about certain things....one thing...how do they handle the "bathroom" situation we're you're out on game drives??? ...hand you a shovel? :,) joan
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 02:30 AM

Great to hear from you! Sorry to hear you were feeling poorly but glad the trip is going well so far.

Hope you have a great time in Namibia too.
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 02:57 AM

Good question Joan - but don't worry too much. Game drives usually run between 2 and 3 hours and the time just flies by. You will not be allowed to wander off into the bush on your own to find a nice secluded spot - the animals will view you as take-out!

And Kim, you've hit the nail on the head re Cape Town weather = all five seasons in one day!
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

This is my last week in Namibia and where has the time gone!

Just when I think things can't get better - they do 10 fold! Yesterday, for instance, we were charged by aoub 10 elephants 3 times! THREE times! Two different sets of elephants. Mind you we were keeping a very safe distance away but they were just not happy campers. It was just amazing! Un-believable - more details to follow.

A few tips:
..re potty stops-it's not a big deal. They are frequent enough and the facities have just been extremely clean. I always take a roll of "campers toilet paper" and haven't had to use it.

...do not plan to have internet access - it has been few and far inbetween. The connection here is PAINFUL!

...keeping that in mind..bring enough memory cards if you are going digital.

...up until yesterday, I have been shooting a roll and a half of 35mm film. Yesterday was an exception at 4.

...pack half as much and take twice as much money! (although things aren't too expensive here)

Now at Swakopmund, tomorrow flying over the dunes, Soussivlei - I massacred that name, then heading for home on Wednesday - sniff sniff! I can't believe that I have been gone for 2+ weeks already! I don't want to come home!

More to follow!
Kim
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

oh yea--sunglasses, hat and sunscreen big time!