Private Conservancy Recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

We are trying to decide where to split our time in Kenya Masai Mara area. We plan to spend a couple days in the Reserve and then 3 days outside it in one of the conservancies. Which one do you recommend and for what reason?

We were looking at Serian Mara North -Asilia Private Reserve
Naboisho Conservancy
Olare Orok Conservancy

Also, if you only had only 3 other days, would you spend them in Ambesoli, Chylulu Hills
or Lewa Reserve in Laikipia Plateau?

We are researching for a trip next year and thinking September.
Old Jul 17th, 2014, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where are you spending the few days when staying within the Reserve?

Serian is on the Mara North Conservancy, has nothing to do with Asilia. Personally believe the Serian Ngare camp better, but also more expensive.

For Asilia consider the Naboisho conservancy, believe it's Valley Camp (check the Asilia site at www.asiliaafrica.com. And then the Ol Seki Camp on Naboisho is also great. Or if you prefer to be somewhat closer to the Reserve, the Olare Orok/Mitogori conservancy has good offerings, as Kicheche Bush. Mara Plains also on the latter is outstanding but the price is in the $1,000+/ppnt, might be over your budget.
Old Jul 17th, 2014, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

sandi,

We haven't decided yet on where in Reserve but are looking at Rekero, Naibor or Mara Toto? Do you have any opinion on those camps?

Mara Plains is out of our budget, over $1200/night in Sept. We want to stay under $1000/night.

If we stay in the Reserve for 2 nights at either of the camps I mentioned, which conservancy would you recommend we go to?
Old Jul 18th, 2014, 05:01 AM

Karen
I am reaching out to a contact of mine and will be back in touch.
Dianne
Old Jul 18th, 2014, 05:19 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
I think Mara Toto is in the Olare Orok/Mitogori but doesn't have game drive privileges there.

I don't know if you are trying to stay with Aslilia but Porini Lion is in the OOM.

I stayed in Mara Toto in 2013 and Porini Lion in 2012 and would return to both (if it were in the budget ). This year was Topi House (Asilia) and we drove a few minutes past Porini Lion and Mara Plains to get there. I think it's like Mara Toto and it's in the OOM but no game drive privileges.

I was in each camp 7 or 8 days and really like staying in the same place for that long. Not switching guides after 3 days is a bonus because they know what you have already experienced and will work to make each day a new day. That's how we saw the black rhino last week. If we had switched camps, the new guides wouldn't have taken a morning to drive way out of the way to take a chance on finding the rhino.

I heard that the wild dogs have been seen pretty regularly at Sosian in Laikipia if that's an interest.
Old Jul 18th, 2014, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Dianne, I will be emailing you for your photolink.

sundowner: Thanks for info. When you say that Mara Toto doesn't have game drive privileges in Olare Orok, what does that mean? Where do you go to see game if staying there?

If we don't stay in the Reserve but instead stay at one of the private conservancies, what are our chances of seeing the migration? We really want to stay someplace that has off road and night drives so that is why we are looking at the private conservancies.
Old Jul 18th, 2014, 06:36 AM

Rekero is a good choice and in hi-demand, so if interested I sure wouldn't wait to get your dates. Rekero is now under the ownership of Asilia and if you wish another Asilia camp, then consider the one at Naboisho.

Toto (little sister of Mara Plains and almost as expensive) is located inside the Reserve, so that's where the game drives take place, regardless you can probably spit and hit the OOM conservancy.

Only those camps on conservancies can do their game drives on conservancies. And remember the rates are 'PER PERSON, PER NT'.... it's not 'per tent or couple per nt'
Some camps include the daily reserve or conservancy fee in the rate, others charge separately many of which are in the $100/nt range.

Those camps on conservancies, when you stay a minimum 3/nt allow for 1/day game drive into the Reserve to hopefully see a 'river crossing.' If you wish additional days, you have to organize with camp guide/vehicle and pay the daily Reserve Fee per person (believe it's $80/pp).

The migrating herds though are to be found everywhere in the Mara - Reserve and Conservancies (north, west, east, south... lots and lots of them everywhere).
Old Jul 18th, 2014, 08:24 AM

The OOM is land that borders the Mara. I have no sense of direction at all (can get lost in a boma) and I never knew if we were in or out of the OOM or Mara but our guides told me all the guides know where the border is. One evening we were watching a cheetah stalking game. The cheetah passed from the Mara into the OOM. The members of the OOM were able to follow her and witness the kill. The non-members had to turn around and leave.

Last year I was supposed to stay at Mara Plains but the camp was not finished yet so we stayed at Mara Toto. I was told that next year (this year) Mara Plains would be more expensive and have game drive privileges in the OOM. Mara Toto would be less expensive and not be able to do game drives in the OOM. I don't *know* if this is how it actually is but that's what I was told would happen.

Apparantly, camps in the OOM have a choice to join the Conservancy. If they choose to join they pay a monthly Conservancy fee, even if there are no guests. If the camp chooses not to join the Conservancy they are still in the OOM, they just cannot do game drives there and they drive through the OOM to get to the Mara (and pay the $80 daily fee to the Mara). The OOM has a council that approves who joins/doesn't join the Conservancy. I think I was told if a camp chooses not to join when they are offered that they cannot join at a later date.

At Mara Toto (2013) and Porini Lion (2012) they were both members of the OOM and we did game drives both in the OOM and the Mara. This year we drove through the OOM to get to the Mara and did all game drives in the Mara. I was told the fee to do game drives in the OOM if you are not a member is $400 per vehicle per day. And I believe they can tell you no.

Is it as clear as mud now?
Old Jul 18th, 2014, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Sandi and sundowner: Thanks so much for your generous feedback. I'm getting a little overwhelmed with my options.

Can either of you recommend a good operator for us to work with?
Old Jul 18th, 2014, 01:07 PM

Mara Plains was always considered to be on Olare Orok/Mitogori conservancy since the establishments of the conservancies. Last year for some reason they combined Mitogori to Olare Orok guess because Richard Branson's new camp was located here and seemed to be the only camp on that conservancy. Mara Toto which is new as of this year is in the Reserve.
Old Jul 18th, 2014, 01:09 PM

I have used a couple of agents but don't normally need one (for various reasons). This time I used Bill Given of The Wild Source (a former Fodorite). I also used him for the trip in 2012 when I went with Porini Camps that he suggested. Sandi is a very generous poster on Fodors (as you have noticed ) and she has a company African Serendipity (correct me if I am wrong) and I used her the previous time I needed an agent (in 2009, I think).

They both arranged for everything once you hit the ground in Nairobi. Meet & greet at the airport, transfers to the hotel, transfer to and from Wilson Airport, the flights to the Mara from Wilson, a driver for any sightseeing at the beginning or ending of the trip, a day room at the end of the trip and the final transfer to NBO airport. The ground operators they use are reliable, responsible, very friendly and knowledgable about Nairobi.

I wouldn't hesitate to use either one of them again!
Old Jul 19th, 2014, 07:57 AM

Here's some ideas to ponder..
I'd go from Nairobi to Laikipia and stay for a few nights at the Lewa Safari Camp in the Lewa Conservancy. Then I would transfer to the Masai Mara National Reserve and stay a few nights at Eagle View Camp in the Naboisho Conservancy OR the Mara North Serian Camp in Mara North Conservancy. Then finally a few remaining nights at Naibor Camp. This is such a great blend of camps and all well suited for the incredible migration as well as the masai cultural experience. Hope this helps! Can't wait to get back there...
Old Jul 19th, 2014, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you sandi, sundowner and dianne for all your incredible feedback.

I now have some options to consider.
Old Jul 19th, 2014, 11:17 AM

I second Laikipia. I stayed at Kicheche Camp in Laikipia and it was just wonderful. The hosts were superb as were game drives, including night drives.
Old Jul 20th, 2014, 06:28 AM

Hi TravelKaren - I have been to every lodge you have mentioned so far. If you are splitting time between the Mara National Reserve and the private conservancies AND since you have mentioned budget limitations then I would look at using a chain that has lodges in both spots. I think either Serian property in Mara North (they are walking distance apart) would be fine and then combine it with their fly camp in the Mara Triangle. If you like the feel of Asilia then just combine Rekerro and Naboisho. That would be an epic combination! Great Plains Camps (Mara Plains and Toto) are probably out of your budget range.

For the second safari destination I would definitely go with Lewa! You are very unlikely to see rhino in the Mara and Lewa has a very nice population. I saw them on every game drive when I was there earlier this year.

If you are looking for something a little less expensive then perhaps you could do 3 days each at Mara Intrepids and Samburu Intrepids and then add a final two nights at Kecheche which you already mentioned above. If you want, you could use a private guide at the two Intrepids camps so you don't have to deal with the schedule.

Craig Beal - owner - Travel Beyond
2011-2013 Travel & Leisure A-List agent for Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia
Old Jul 20th, 2014, 10:54 AM

Hi

I've been to a few of the camps in the conservancies, including Mara plains twice. Sadly, I think they've now priced themselves out of the market. Mara Toto is a nice camp but no access to the olare orok conservancy is a big downside. Suggest you look at kicheche bush camp.

Phil
Old Jul 20th, 2014, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Craig and Phil for your feedback. Definitely giving me some good ideas on an itinerary.