Search

masai mara.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 10:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
masai mara.

Hi,
I am organising a trip to Kenya for 2 couples for Feb 2008 and wish to include a visit to Masai Mara.We would like to stay at small personal camps with our own open vehicle for game drives.Any ideas on which lodges?Is there any advantage to staying in the Park or would we be better staying outside at this time of year.
We were planning to spend a week in Masai Mara area split between 2 camps--I have listed a few we have been recommended below.
Richards,Serian,Ol Seki,Rekero,Rekero Kidogo,Intrepids,Il Moran.
Can anyone please guide us on where would be best for Feb 2008--we wish to see as much game as possible and be able to travel round at our own speed.
Many thanks ,
Nick
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 01:09 AM
santharamhari

I dont know any of these camps....but, i have heard fantastic things about both Rekero and Serian. Infact, i think at Serian.....a private vehicle comes with every booking.

I dont know Il Moran, but i have stayed at Little Governors in 2002 which i liked very much......

Old Feb 24th, 2007, 06:01 AM
sandi

Of those listed, only Rekero and Intrepid's are inside the triangle on the Mara River. Intrepid's, however, is the largest of the camps with about 25/tents (others have 6-10/tents).

Serian and Il Moran are outside, a short distance to the northwest, but where you can have night drives. Serian is lovely, but their bathrooms aren't exactly en-suite, a bit of a walk if you need night potty-calls. Ol Seki, is lovely, located outside the park on private lands to the east. Richard's, also outside to the north. All those outside the actual reserver do night game drives.

Rates will be mid-season, averaging $350-$450/person/nt. if that works with your budget.

At that time of year, you can stay inside or outside as game will be dispersed. Unlike during Migration when many visitors prefer to closer to or inside the triangle.

While Serian might provide a private vehicle per group/tent, with 4/people, it's rare that these small camps put more than 4 in a vehicle with guide/driver and maybe a tracker. If you specifically request a vehicle for yourselves, it can cost in the range of $300/day.

Old Feb 24th, 2007, 08:02 AM

Nickscrim,

This thread might be of interest to you, even though it also contains references to boxing and to budget camps.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34883239

No personal experience with the camps you mentioned. I've stayed at Little Governor's and thought it was great.

I agree that inside or outside the park is not an issue.

February is when the migrating herds are in the Serengeti and not the Maasai Mara. The Mara is always good and has its own resident herds. You may benefit from fewer visitors and better pricing in Februrary.
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 07:53 PM
santharamhari

That's what's very appealing to me about Serian.......Private vehicle included with the booking!!!

You can stay at a sighting for as long as you wish......

Old Feb 25th, 2007, 11:59 PM

Inside the Mara Triangle, next to Mara Intrepids is Mara Explorer Camp, like Intrepids, it is run by Heritage Hotels. The camp is small and intimate, and 4 guests will be assured one vehicle. http://www.heritage-eastafrica.com/explorer_mara.html
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 03:13 PM

We have just returened from a 4 night stay at Naibor camp in the central Mara on the Talek river. They currently have seven tents and our hosts Patrick and Joanna could not have been more charming. I think they are on the edge of the being small enough to really feel a nice intimacy at dinner. There is a plan to add 2 more tents which would be a shame.
We had a lovely time with other charimng guests and only a rather odd couple of jounalists from the New York Post who seemed out of place with comments such as "Impala, they'll eat meat if they can get it won't they!"
Not standard guests we were assured.The food was lovely the tents beauitiful and romantic...a few mosquitos so come prepared.. otherwise bliss.. Yvonne