- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
In recent years local chef Hoover Alexander has created one of Austin's best comfort-food oases, blending mama's home cooking, diner short-order specials, Tex-Mex favorites, and Cajun influences. The self-styled "Smoke, Fire & Ice House" is known for its large portions, and the chefs aren't shy with the spices, either. The huge, flavorful chicken-fried steak puts most others to shame (even Threadgill's). The moist, flavorful fried chicken, smoked boudin sausage, and jalapeño creamed spinach are additional standouts; extravagant, New Orleans–influenced breakfasts are worth a trip. We've never had room to try the pies, but we hear they're pretty good, too.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Many thanks to those of you who provided advice on our spring break trip to San Antonio, Texas! Read more
My DW dropped me off at the Amtrak station a little after 8PM in CMO on 2/5. Read more
My husband and I are researching a trip to the Grand Canyon this October. Read more
· News & Features
Austin's South by Southwest Festival kicks off next week. ... Read more
Kick off your new year's resolution-primed vacation by booking a trip to a close-to-home resort where... Read more
This fall saw the debut of the Hotel Ella, a 47-room hotel in Austin, Texas, set in a reimagined forme... Read more