- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Benachi-Torre House Review
This historic Greek Revival mansion was built in 1859 for the Greek consul in New Orleans and was a significant part of the original expansion of New Orleans into this neighborhood. Directly across from the Degas House, this intersection forms something of a historical hub. The house earned the nickname "Rendezvous des Chasseurs" (meeting place of hunters) during the 19th century when much of this area was still undeveloped swampland. The gorgeous house and gardens are now primarily a private event space and a popular setting for New Orleans weddings.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
We'll be celebrating our 10th anniversary in NOLA the first week in February, first time there for both of us.
I've been having fun reading trip reports and while we don't usually make an exac Read more
· News & Features
Top Chef star Brian Malarkey, gearing up to open a new hotel restaurant at the trendy Mondrian Los Angeles, ... Read more
New Orleans brought a whole new meaning to "cocktail party" when it transformed into a raucous drinking... Read more
You might think that most historically significant events are well-marked at landmarks we're all familia... Read more