New Orleans trip report

Search

New Orleans trip report

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2024, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Orleans trip report

We just recently returned from our first trip to New Orleans and stayed at Windsor Court which I can’t recommend highly enough. We stayed club level, that may have made a difference , but we were treated like gold. The staff were so kind and really had a hospitality mind set. We enjoyed their graciousness without stuffiness. Anyway I digress. I feel like all we did was eat. We had dinner at Bayonne which was wonderful. My husband and son had lamb, I believe, and seemed to really enjoy it. I had the steak which was good, but I am not An adventurous eater at all. They also offered a rabbit dish and scallops. We also ate at Copper Vine one night, also terrific. We tried the pappardelle and duck dishes which were wonderful. Lunch at Napoleon House one day was very good too. We particularly enjoyed a frothy bourbon concoction and had to try their pims cup. After WWII museum ,we ate art Cochon Butcher which was also yummy.
We drove through Metairie cemetery because it was pouring, but it was lovely anyway. It would have been a great walk.
We also did a self walking tour through the garden district. The homes were lovely to look at. We printed a tour available on a walking tour website. Nola tour guy . We also did a French quarter walking tour with them. Our guide was very knowledgeable.
we didn’t walk bourbon street and don’t feel as though we missed much.
The World War II museum is enormous and a pleasure to visit.
If you are history buffs ,the Creole Queen offers a river cruise to Chalmette battlefield with a stop to visit. My husband and son enjoyed that while my daughter and I stayed onboard and relaxed.
By the way my son is allergic to nuts and all seafood and had no problems. He just made sure to mention it when ordering.
Have a great trip.
Old Mar 24th, 2024, 11:05 AM
Forum Moderator

Copied as a new thread and removed from the 2015 topic it was posted to
Old Mar 24th, 2024, 04:26 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like you had a great trip -- I haven't been to NoLa since about 2000/2001-ish and need to get back there. The WWII museum was then the D-Day Museum and was a fraction the size it is now.

I love the food (BTW - Its a Pimm's Cup. My favorite summer drink but never found a proper one in the States - they are an English thing. Will have to see if the Napoleon House knows their stuff )
Old Mar 29th, 2024, 04:15 PM

Sounds like a great New Orleans adventure! So many impressions and delicious food. Windsor Court sounds really wonderful, especially when the staff were so attentive and friendly. Bayonne and Copper Vine sound like great lunch spots. And of course visiting the WWII museum must have been very impressive. The Metairie Cemetery and Garden District also sound like interesting places to visit. It's good that your son didn't have any problems with nut or seafood allergies, this is always important to remember when traveling. Thanks for the recommendations and detailed report of your experience!
Old Apr 4th, 2024, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the responses to my accidental trip report. LOL. Trying to pay it forward, I had posted a response on what happened to be a very old post unnoticed by me. By the magic of Fodor’s moderator magic, I ended up with a TR, a very poor one by any standards. Regardless, I appreciate the responses. Perhaps next time, I’ll get around to an intentional report that isn’t so brief and random.