Fodor's Southern California 2014
Hot Creek Geological Site/Hot Creek Fish Hatchery
Hot Creek Geological Site/Hot Creek Fish Hatchery Review
Forged by an ancient volcanic eruption, the Hot Creek Geological Site is a landscape of boiling hot springs, fumaroles, and occasional geysers about 10 miles southeast of the town of Mammoth Lakes. You can soak in hot springs (at your own risk, bathing suits mandatory) or look down from the parking area into the canyon to view the steaming volcanic features—a very cool sight indeed. Fly-fishing for trout is popular upstream from the springs. En route to the geologic site is the outdoor Hot Creek Fish Hatchery, the breeding ponds for many of the fish (typically 3 to 5 million annually) with which the state stocks eastern Sierra lakes and rivers. In recent years, budget cuts have drastically reduced these numbers, but locals have formed foundations to keep the hatchery going. For more details, take the worthwhile self-guided tour.
- Address: Hot Creek Hatchery Rd., east of U.S. 395, El Portal, CA 93546
- Phone: 760/924–5500 for geological site; 760/934–2664 for hatchery
- Cost: Free
- Hours: Site daily sunrise–sunset; hatchery June–Oct., daily 8–4, depending on snowfall
- Location: El Portal
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hello all! Read more
Long time lurker but only recently joined to get some advice about my up coming Canada trip so thought id share my USA experiance.
4 of us (21-25years old) flew in to LAX mid to late August, picked up Read more
I will be heading to Laguna Beach next week for a last minute girls trip. Read more
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more