- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
A quick 5-mile detour off I-15 between Temecula and San Diego, Fallbrook bills itself as the Avocado Capital of the World. Avocado orchards fill the surrounding hillsides, and guacamole is served in just about every eatery. You can even pig out on avocado ice cream at the annual Avocado Festival in April. But this small agricultural town is also morphing into an interesting arts center. The art and cultural center showcases the work of local and regional painters, sculptors, and fiber artists. The National Gourd and Fiber Show in June draws lovers of this art from all over Southern California. You'll find several intriguing galleries displaying antiques, jewelry, watercolors, and photography on Main Avenue. Innovative restaurants now supplement the staple fast-food joints, and the Fallbrook Winery is making a name for itself in the South Coast wine region.
Fallbrook at a Glance
Elsewhere in North County and Around
- Anza-Borrego Desert State Park
- Borrego Springs
- Cuyamaca Mountains
- Del Mar
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's