- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Fairmont Le Château Frontenac
Fairmont Le Château Frontenac Review
The most photographed landmark in Québec City, this imposing turreted castle with a copper roof owes its name to the Comte de Frontenac, Governor of the French colony between 1672 and 1698. The site itself is significant; it once held the St-Louis châteaux and forts, residence and seat of power for most governors. Samuel de Champlain was responsible for Château St-Louis, the first structure to appear on the site of the Frontenac; it was built between 1620 and 1624 as a residence for colonial governors. In 1784 Château Haldimand was constructed here, but it was demolished in 1892 to make way for Château Frontenac, built as a hotel a year later. The Frontenac was remarkably luxurious for the time: guest rooms contained fireplaces, bathrooms, and marble fixtures, and a special commissioner purchased antiques for the establishment. The hotel was designed by New York architect Bruce Price, who also worked on Québec City's Gare du Palais (train station). It's one in a series of château-style hotels built across Canada to attract wealthy railroad travelers and promote luxury tourism. The addition of a 20-story central tower in 1924 completed the hotel. It's accumulated a star-studded guest roster, including Queen Elizabeth II, Princess Grace of Monaco, Alfred Hitchcock, and Ronald Reagan, as well as Franklin Roosevelt and Winston Churchill, who met here in 1943 and 1944 for two wartime conferences.
Santol, the hotel's appointed Canine Ambassador, a former guide dog in the Mira Foundation for the blind, can often be found in the lobby helping children and adults alike to feel more at home.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book Universel Quebec in May: Spring Sale! Save 20% Save with Expedia, $27/night less
- 3.5-Star Delta Quebec Fr $264+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $31/night less
- Hot Deal on a 7 Nt Cruise! Holland America Line Fr $449 Expedia
- $22.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Quebec Hotwire
- Special deal: 3-Star Four Points by Sheraton Quebec Fr $231+/Nt — $231 Expedia
We spent a delightful week this October in Canada and I thought it would be nice to share given the limited number of postings for both Montreal and Quebec City.
First, let me say that this trip was i Read more
We recently traveled to Quebec City and stayed at a B&B in Levis, CA, which is across the river from Quebec City. Read more
We're thinking of taking a trip to Montreal during the first week of September. Read more
· News & Features
Before Beyoncé went into Blue Ivy baby-momma mode, Destiny’s Child taught the world an importa ... Read more
Heading to Montreal or Quebec City for some French culture without setting foot off the continent?... Read more