- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
If Chichén Itzá is the most expansive Mayan ruin in Yucatán, Uxmal is arguably the most elegant. The architecture here reflects the late classical renaissance of the 7th to 9th centuries, and is contemporary with that of Palenque and Tikal, among other great Mayan cities of the southern highlands.
The site is considered the finest and most extensively excavated example of Puuc architecture, which embraces such details as ornate stone mosaics and friezes on the upper walls, intricate cornices, rows of columns, and soaring vaulted arches.
You could easily spend a couple of days exploring the ruins, though keep in mind that the only entertainment offered outside the ruins is provided by hotels and the odd restaurant. Unlike some of the other remote ruin sites, here you can buy food, drinks, and souvenirs at the entrance.
Uxmal at a Glance
Elsewhere in Yucatán and Campeche States
- Chichén Itzá
- Ek Balam
- Grutas de Balancanchén
- Grutas de Loltún
- Isla Holbox
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book in Merida: Save at the Hacienda Merida in Jun Fr $151+/Nt Expedia
- Book in Merida: Save at the Colon in Jun Fr $62+/Nt Expedia
- $164 & Up: The Villa Merida 4-Star Hotel in Merida — $164 Expedia
- Save Big This Jun! Book 3 Nts at Del Gobernador Fr $48+/Nt — $48 Expedia
- Sale! Save 20% on this Stay.: Caribe in Jun — $52 Save with Expedia, $11/night less