This market town (market day is the last Friday of the month) was much admired by the great English literary figure and lexicographer Dr. Samuel Johnson (1709–84). A walk along the riverbank at Lawnt (a village just south of Denbigh), which he loved, brings you to a monumental urn placed in his honor. Not that it pleased him: "It looks like an intention to bury me alive," he thundered.
Denbigh at a Glance
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's