- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
West of Bursa, on the southern shore of the Dardanelles, Çanakkale is the largest city of the north Aegean coast. The city itself doesn't have much to offer, other than a decent selection of hotels and bars, but it's a good base for visiting the memorials and battlefields of Gallipolli, a half-hour's ferry journey across the straits.
The heart of Çanakkale is in the docks area, and you really don't need to go inland. An Ottoman clock tower is located between the two halves of the dock. Head toward the sea from this tower and you'll find the ferry that departs for historic Gallipoli. Hotels and restaurants are spread on either side of the docks, along the sea front. Most of the budget hotels, cheap dining options, and bars are in the streets behind the seafront to the left of the tower if you're facing the sea.
Çanakkale at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Sea of Marmara and the North Aegean
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe