- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
A number of bus lines serve the Aegean coast. The ride from Istanbul to Izmir takes around 9 hours, and from Istanbul to Bodrum about 12. Once you're here bus travel is a inexpensive and the towns and attractions are well served by bus, though it's slower and more restrictive than traveling by car. Major bus lines travel between Izmir, Selçuk, Kusadas, Didyma, Milas, and Bodrum, but you'll have to rely on local, often smaller buses to travel shorter distances to and between smaller towns. Typical travel times are: Izmir to Bodrum, 3½ hours; Izmir to Çesme, 1½ hours; Izmir to Selçuk, 1½ hours; Izmir to Kusadasi, 80 minutes; and Çesme to Bodrum, 4½ hours.
For 10-hour-plus journeys, Varan, by far the most luxurious company, and Ulusoy are at the high end, and often make long trips at night. Kamil Koç and Boss are some other good choices. Bus companies offer more trips per day for shorter routes and during high season.
Ulusoy (212/444-1888 toll free reservations. www.ulusoy.com.tr.)
Varan (212/444-8999 toll free reservations;. www.varan.com.tr.)
Kamil Koç (0212/444-0562 toll free reservations. www.kamilkoc.com.tr.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Small budget: Stay in Izmir this May Fr $145+/Nt Expedia
- Small budget: Stay in Izmir this May Fr $84+/Nt Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Izmir Fr $77+/Nt — $77 Expedia
- Small budget: Stay in Izmir this May Fr $106+/Nt — $106 Expedia
- Book in Izmir: Save at the Hilton Izmir in May Fr $203+/Nt — $203 Expedia