- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
A number of bus lines serve the Aegean coast. The ride from Istanbul to İzmir takes around 9 hours, and from Istanbul to Bodrum about 12. Once you're here bus travel is a inexpensive and the towns and attractions are well served by bus, though it's slower and more restrictive than traveling by car. Major bus lines travel between İzmir, Selçuk, Kuşadaş, Didyma, Milas, and Bodrum, but you'll have to rely on local, often smaller buses to travel shorter distances to and between smaller towns. Typical travel times are: İzmir to Bodrum, 3½ hours; İzmir to Çeşme, 1½ hours; İzmir to Selçuk, 1½ hours; İzmir to Kuşadası, 80 minutes; and Çeşme to Bodrum, 4½ hours.
For 10-hour-plus journeys, Varan, by far the most luxurious company, and Ulusoy are at the high end, and often make long trips at night. Kamil Koç and Boss are some other good choices. Bus companies offer more trips per day for shorter routes and during high season.
Ulusoy (212/444–1888 reservations; press 1 to buy tickets. www.ulusoy.com.tr.)
Varan (212/444–8999 reservations; press 1 to buy tickets;. www.varan.com.tr.)
Kamil Koç (0212/444–0562 reservations; press 1 to buy tickets. www.kamilkoc.com.tr.)
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe