- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Above this graceful little village full of fountains, vineyards, and old stucco houses, the Zürich author Johanna Spyri set Heidi, the much-loved children's story of an orphan growing up with her grandfather on an isolated Alpine farm. Taken away to accompany the invalid Clara in murky Frankfurt, she languishes until returning to her mountain home. Nursing her fatally ill son, Spyri spent time in Maienfeld and liked the mountains, but it's unknown whether actual people inspired her tale.
Maienfeld at a Glance
Elsewhere in Graubünden
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's