- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Colonia Augusta Raurica (Augst)
Founded in 44-43 BC, Augst is the oldest Roman settlement on the Rhine, and today has been largely reconstructed as a noted museum of ancient Roman antiquities (one suspects the Swiss might have done the same with Rome's Colosseum if they had gotten their hands on it). The site is reachable by car from Basel in 15 minutes or in summer via a leisurely boat trip up the river. From the Bahnhof SBB take train S1 to Kaiseraugst, or Bus 81 from Basel-Aeschenplatz to Augst; thereafter it takes approximately 10 minutes from either of these stops to walk uphill to the Roman Museum. To view the restoration areas scattered around the almost suburban neighborhood, be prepared for a fair bit of walking.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's