- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The faithful continue to fill this traditional shrine to fine dining, once considered Madrid's best restaurant and still worth seeking out. Wild boar, venison, hare, partridge, and wild duck, as well as unique burgers (monkfish, swordfish or the juicy German style, made with beef and veal) are standard options. Ox stroganoff with noodles and a Pommery mustard sauce, pork chops with sauerkraut, and baumkuchen (a chocolate-covered fruit-and-cake dessert) reflect the restaurant's Germanic roots. The dining room is decorated with brocade and antique Austrian porcelain; an ample selection of French and German wines rounds out the menu.
- Address: Alfonso XII 6, Retiro, Madrid, 28014 | Map It
- Phone: 91/522–0731
- Website: www.restaurantehorcher.com
- Metro: Retiro.
- Location: Chamberí, Retiro, and Salamanca
- Jacket and tie.
- Reservations essential.
- Credit cards accepted.
- Closed Sun., Easter wk, and Aug. No lunch Sat.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
We spent 5 days based at Embalse de Alloz below the village of Lerate, about 10 miles south west of Estella. Read more
We spent 4 days in Picos de Europa, based near Potes. Read more
Me (23) and my partner (21) have booked a contiki tour that starts in Istanbul on the 16th of May, and finishes in Athens on the 26th of May. Read more
· News & Features
The Only YOU Hotel & Lounge Madrid has debuted in Madrid's design- and fashion-conscious Chueca distric ... Read more
In Spain, the gin and tonic (called "gin tonics") is an art form with carefully chosen gin and small-batch... Read more
Purchase the Paseo del Arte (Art Walk) pass for easy access to three art museums in Madrid.... Read more