Now more a narrow street than a square, the Old Square once extended all the way down to the river during the Middle Ages. Today, it's lined with small restaurants and elegant houses. Note the Schweiger house, built in 1749 for Franc Karl Schweiger by the promanent architect Candido Zulliani; it is considered one of the finest baroque homes in the city. A figure above the door has his finger to his lips, urging silence—a visual pun on the name of the house's owner (Schweiger
means "a silent man" in German). Be sure to also check out the Stična Mansion, one of the oldest and most beautiful houses on the square, built in 1630.
Between Town Square and Upper Square, Ljubljana, Slovenia