This curious double tower dates from the 15th century. It originally belonged to the Ruthvens, who were executed in 1600 after a failed attempt to wrest power from the young James VI. He then passed it on to the more loyal Murrays. Some early painted ceilings survive, offering the vaguest hint of the sumptuous interiors, now reduced to bare and drafty rooms.
Off A85, Perth, PH1 3JR, Scotland