Grotta di Nettuno (Neptune's Cave)
Grotta di Nettuno (Neptune's Cave) Review
At the base of a sheer cliff, the pounding sea has carved an entrance to a vast fantastic cavern filled with stunning water pools, stalactites, and stalagmites. You must visit with a guide; tours start on the hour. It's possible to reach the caves by boat or by land. Boat trips depart at regular intervals from the port of Alghero for €15 for the round-trip (admission to the grotto is extra). The dramatic cave and coves, discovered by fishermen in the 18th century, are some of the most popular tourist attractions on the island for their sheer natural beauty. To reach the grotto by land, you can descend the 654 dizzying Escala del Cabirol ("Goat Steps"), which are cut into the steep cliff here. By public bus from Alghero's Via Catalogna, the trip to the top of the stairway takes about 50 minutes. Allow 15 minutes for the descent by foot.
- Address: 13 km (8 mi) west of Alghero, Alghero, 07041
- Phone: 079/946540
- Cost: €13
- Hours: Grotto: May–Sept., daily 9–8; Apr. and Oct., daily 10–6; Nov.–Mar., daily 10–5 (weather permitting). Bus from Alghero to stairs: 9:15 year-round; 3:10 and 5:10 mid-June–Sept. From Capo Caccia: noon year-round; 4:05 and 6:05 mid-June–Sept.
- Location: Alghero
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's