Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ten days in Sardinia ? Suggestions please ..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2024, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear Folks

I live in UK and in April was looking where best I can have a 10 day approx vacation in the next few days and thought perhaps Sardinia as have been to Sicily.

It seems tickets are a bit cheaper to go to Olbia from where I am but hear that is the expensive part and I should look to head for the other airports.

Also is it doable by public transport or car is essential?
I hear public transport is bad in Sardinia but also hear it is not easy to drive with keen young local drivers driving at high speed.As used to driving on the other side not sure how easy to drive in hilly roads but not completely averse.

An Italian friend also mentioned about the green train trenoverdo . Is it operating now?

Will be flying solo.Am in my mid fifties. My interests include dabbling in photography. Sadly cannot swim.

Hoping to find relaxing time, bit of exploring(not very fit so not strenuous hikes but relaxed walks) good food, photo opportunities , local people, bit of history.

If you would kindly give me a suggestion for itinerary would be great.

Kind regards

Dear Folks

I live in UK and in April was looking where best I can have a 10 day approx vacation in the next few days and thought perhaps Sardinia as have been to Sicily.

It seems tickets are a bit cheaper to go to Olbia but hear that is the expensive part and hence better to head to other airports also for a more local feel.

Also if doable by public transport or car essential. I hear public transport is bad in Sardinia but also hear it is not easy to drive with keen young local drivers driving at high speed.As used to driving on the other side not sure how easy to drive in hilly roads but not completely averse.

An Italian friend also mentioned about the green train trenoverdo . Is it operating now?

Will be flying solo.Am in my mid fifties. My interests include dabbling in photography. Sadly cannot swim.

Hoping to find relaxing time, bit of exploring(not very fit so not strenuous hikes but relaxed walks) good food, photo opportunities , local people, bit of history.

Would so appreciate your advice regarding itinerary and how best to do it ..as have heard so much about Sardinia

Kind regards
Old Apr 8th, 2024, 11:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We had about 8 nights on Sardinia, flew into Olbia and out of Alghero. We stayed in Santa Teresa Gallura which we loved and also Alghero which was fine but didn't like it as much. We did hire a car and I don't remember but think that it might be hard to get around without a car. We did a day trip by ferry from Santa Teresa Gallura to Bonifacio on Corsica. It is in a spectacular setting so if you go, make sure to be on deck as you approach Corsica. The ferry ride was about 45 mins and the port was an easy walk from our hotel. Make sure you take your passport! Capo Testa is a lovely place for walks and photography. We didn't see a lot of traffic, the island felt quiet but it wasn't peak season when we went. There is an expensive area/resort near Olbia but the places we stayed and the towns were not upmarket or pricey.
Old Apr 9th, 2024, 08:59 AM

All depends on what you plan to do.
Beach hotels are rather expenive all over Sardinia. But that's not an issue in April.
Public ttransport is not bad along the main train and bus lines, like
Olbia - Ozieri-Chilivani - Sassari
Porto Torres - Sassari - Ozieri-Chilivani - Macomer - Oristano - Decimomannu - Cagliari airport - Cagliari
Olbia - Golfo Aranci
Sassari - Porto Torres - Stintino
Sassari - Alghero
Sassari - Tempio
Macomer - Nuoro
Macomer - Bosa
Cagliari - Decimomannu - Iglesias and Carbonia - Sant'Antioco
Cagliari - Pula
Cagliari - Villasimius
Caagliari - Arbatax
Cagliari - Mandas
andf almost inexistant in other areas.
Old Apr 9th, 2024, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KayF
We had about 8 nights on Sardinia, flew into Olbia and out of Alghero. We stayed in Santa Teresa Gallura which we loved and also Alghero which was fine but didn't like it as much. We did hire a car and I don't remember but think that it might be hard to get around without a car. We did a day trip by ferry from Santa Teresa Gallura to Bonifacio on Corsica. It is in a spectacular setting so if you go, make sure to be on deck as you approach Corsica. The ferry ride was about 45 mins and the port was an easy walk from our hotel. Make sure you take your passport! Capo Testa is a lovely place for walks and photography. We didn't see a lot of traffic, the island felt quiet but it wasn't peak season when we went. There is an expensive area/resort near Olbia but the places we stayed and the towns were not upmarket or pricey.
Thank you Kay F . Need to decide soon where I go. Very helpful.
Old Apr 9th, 2024, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by neckervd
All depends on what you plan to do.
Beach hotels are rather expenive all over Sardinia. But that's not an issue in April.
Public ttransport is not bad along the main train and bus lines, like
Olbia - Ozieri-Chilivani - Sassari
Porto Torres - Sassari - Ozieri-Chilivani - Macomer - Oristano - Decimomannu - Cagliari airport - Cagliari
Olbia - Golfo Aranci
Sassari - Porto Torres - Stintino
Sassari - Alghero
Sassari - Tempio
Macomer - Nuoro
Macomer - Bosa
Cagliari - Decimomannu - Iglesias and Carbonia - Sant'Antioco
Cagliari - Pula
Cagliari - Villasimius
Caagliari - Arbatax
Cagliari - Mandas
andf almost inexistant in other areas.
That is very helpful indeed neckverd.Gives me a bit more confidence as was starting to contemplate some other part of the globe to avoid drving.
Old Apr 10th, 2024, 10:31 PM

If you can get a flight to Cagliari it makes a great base. Cagliari itself is an interesting city with a historic centre great for strolling. Good choice of eateries at all prices. From there with careful planning you can get by bus to Villasimius and beyond to the east and the areas of Pula Nora and Chia to the west all with fabulous beaches and views for walking and hiking. April is superb in that area for the flowers along the coast. We went several times before COVID just using public transport, always April. 25th April is a public holiday in Italy
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 02:36 AM

The most interesting thing at Cagliari is the archeological museum where the Nuragus culture is explained.
The best Nuragus can be found at Barumini (with a small museum too).
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you just-tina and neckverd.
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 11:47 PM

I wonder why you chose Sardinia? We are planning our vacation in Italy and also considering buying property. For us, the main thing is the opportunity to see more good places close to each other. This implies that we will be moving around. It seems to me that Sardinia is too small for a long vacation. But I've never been there, and maybe I need to take my family and correct that