- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
If you're driving from Milan to Lake Garda, the perfect deviation from your autostrada journey is the lovely medieval town of Bergamo. Easily one of Italy's most elegant, well-kept, picturesque cities, Bergamo is also a wonderful side trip by train from Milan. With direct train service from Milan, you'll be whisked from the restless pace of city life to the medieval grandeur of Bergamo Alta in less than an hour.
From behind a set of battered Venetian walls high on an Alpine hilltop, Bergamo majestically surveys the countryside. Behind are the snowcapped Bergamese Alps, and two funiculars connect the modern Bergamo Bassa (Lower Bergamo) to the ancient Bergamo Alta (Upper Bergamo). Bergamo Bassa's long arteries and ornate piazze speak to its centuries of prosperity, but it's nonetheless overshadowed by Bergamo Alta's, whose magnificent architecture has a fairy-tale allure.
Bergamo at a Glance
Elsewhere in Milan, Lombardy, and the Lakes
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe