- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Fodor's Essential Italy
Giardino di Boboli (Boboli Gardens)
Giardino di Boboli (Boboli Gardens) Review
The main entrance to these landscaped gardens is from the right side of the courtyard of Palazzo Pitti. The gardens began to take shape in 1549, when the Pitti family sold the palazzo to Eleanor of Toledo, wife of the Medici grand duke Cosimo I. Niccolò Tribolo (1500–50) laid out the first landscaping plans, and after his death, Ammannati, Giambologna, Bernardo Buontalenti (circa 1536–1608), and Giulio (1571–1635) and Alfonso Parigi (1606–56), among others, continued his work. Italian landscaping is less formal than French, but still full of sweeping drama. A copy of the famous Morgante, Cosimo I's favorite dwarf astride a particularly unhappy tortoise, is near the exit. Sculpted by Valerio Cioli (circa 1529–99), the work seems to illustrate the perils of culinary overindulgence. A visit here can be disappointing, because the gardens are somewhat underplanted and under-cared for, but it's still a great walk with some terrific views.
- Address: Enter through Palazzo Pitti, Florence, 50125 | Map It
- Phone: 055/294883
- Cost: €10, combined ticket with Museo degli Argenti, Museo delle Porcellane, Villa Bardini, and Giardino Bardini
- Hours: Jan., Feb., Nov., and Dec., daily 8:15–4:30; Mar., daily 8:15–5:30; Apr., May, Sept., and Oct., daily 8:15–6:30; June–Aug., daily 8:15–7:30. Closed 1st and last Mon. of month
- Website: www.polomuseale.firenze.it
- Location: The Oltrarno
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
In early September 2013, we had a trip to Europe, covering 14 cities in 15 days. Read more
Trip to Sicily: March 3-22, 2014
My husband and I had originally planned a trip to Sicily for last September but, due to family issues, we had to postpone the trip until this March. Read more
I'm planning to drive a rental car in Southern Tuscany for a week.
How reliable the GPS is in Tuscany? Do I really need a detailed local map or GPS will be good enough?
Thanks for your help. Read more
· News & Features
Florence may not be first on your list of up-and-coming cities, but the Renaissance City is constantly ... Read more
Feeling a little down on your luck?... Read more
Few countries can offer what Italy can in the way of local culinary specialties, art, and architecture,... Read more