- Samos Block Party Math genius Pythagoras, freedom-loving Epicurus, and the fabled Aesop were just a few of this island's brightest stars, and their spirits probably still haunt the ancient Heraion temple.
- Mesmerizing Mastic Villages Pirgi in Chios is known for the resin it produces, but with its Genoese houses patterned in black and white, it's the Escher-like landscape that's likely to draw you in.
- Sappho's Island If it's poetic truth you seek, head to one of Lesbos's oldest towns, Molyvos—a haven for artists and an aesthete's dream.
- Sailing to Byzantium Colorful Byzantine mosaics make Chios's 11th-century Nea Moni monastery an important piece of history—and a marvel to behold.
- Dizzyingly Good Ouzo Though you can get this potent potable anywhere in Greece, Lesbos's is reputedly the best—enjoy it with famed salt-baked Kalloni sardines.
Need a break from the big city? View 42-hour itineraries from 13 cities.More