- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
The Mémorial, an imaginative museum erected in 1988 on the north side of the city, is a must-see if you're interested in World War II history. The stark, flat facade, with a narrow doorway symbolizing the Allies' breach in the Nazi's supposedly impregnable Atlantic Wall, opens onto an immense foyer containing a café, brasserie, shop, and British Typhoon aircraft suspended overhead. The museum itself is down a spiral ramp, lined with photos and documents charting the Nazi's rise to power in the 1930s. The idea—hardly subtle but visually effective—is to suggest a descent into the hell of war. The extensive displays range from wartime plastic jewelry to scale models of battleships, with scholarly sections on how the Nazis tracked down radios used by the French Resistance and on the development of the atomic bomb. A room commemorating the Holocaust, with flickering candles and twinkling overhead lights, sounds a jarring, somewhat tacky note. The D-Day landings are evoked by a tabletop Allies map of the theater of war and by a spectacular split-screen presentation of the D-Day invasion from both the Allied and Nazi standpoints. Softening the effect of the modern 1988 museum structure are tranquil gardens; the most recent is the British Garden, inaugurated by Prince Charles in 2004. The museum itself is fittingly located 10 minutes away from the Pegasus Bridge and 15 minutes from the D-Day beaches.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- 4-Star Mercure Le Havre Centre Bassin du Commerce Fr $100+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $76/night less
- Novotel Le Havre Bassin Vauban in May: $148 & Up Expedia
- Explore Le Havre For Less! Book Fr $92+/Nt — $92 Save with Hotels.com, $80/night less
- Book 3 Nts in Le Havre this May Fr $93+/Nt — $93 Expedia
- 4-Star Quality la Berteliere Fr $168+/Nt — $168 Hotels.com
Sometimes things happen that makes one wonder if fate is conspiring against a trip. Read more
Above is a blog that I hope will be entertaining and helpful to anyone who might be interested in backpacking across the continent. This is specifically for anyone who's Read more
This will be an ongoing report of our trip.
Trip # 9 for my husband and myself.
Thanks for all the help.
Monday may 12
Arrived after a smooth flight,our friend Lucien was there to meet us and take us to Read more
· News & Features
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more