- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Madame Tussauds Review
One of London's busiest tourist attractions, this is nothing less—but also nothing more—than the world's most famous exhibition of lifelike waxwork models of celebrities. Madame T. learned her craft while making death masks of French Revolution victims, and in 1835 she set up her first show of the famous ones near this spot. Top billing still goes to the murderers in the Chamber of Horrors, who stare glassy-eyed at visitors—one from an electric chair, one sitting next to the tin bath where he dissolved several wives in quicklime. What, aside from ghoulish prurience, makes people stand in line to invest in one of London's most expensive museum tickets? It must be the thrill of all those photo opportunities with royalty, Hollywood stars, and world leaders—all in a single day. Beat the crowds by booking timed entry tickets in advance. You can also buy non-dated, "priority access" tickets via the website (at a premium).
- Address: Marylebone Rd., Regent's Park, London, NW1 5LR | Map It
- Phone: 0870/400–3000 for timed entry tickets
- Cost: £15–£35 according to time; call or check website. Combination ticket with London Eye, London Dungeons, and London Aquarium from £35–£57.
- Hours: Early Apr. and mid-Jul.–Aug., daily 9–7; Sept.–Mar. and mid-Apr.–mid-Jul., weekdays 9–5:30 (last admission); weekends 9:30–6 (last admission).
- Website: www.madame-tussauds.com
- Tube: Baker St.
- Location: Regent's Park and Hampstead
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
My boyfriend (D) and I went on a semi-vacation for a few weeks in the Fall of 2013. Read more
PROLOGUE – Shut Out and Scrambling For Lodging
The still-to-this-day-maddening email arrived about 48 hours before Kim, Mary, Tracy and I were to take-off from LAX to London: “London Property Read more
Our multi-continent family is meeting in London for Christmas. Read more
· News & Features
'Tis the season at London Heathrow, which almost seems like a giant shopping mall with an airport attached.... Read more
The beacons of hotel-cool are at it again, this time across the pond.... Read more
When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford.... Read more