- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Madame Tussauds Review
One of London's busiest tourist attractions, this is nothing less—but also nothing more—than the world's most famous exhibition of lifelike waxwork models of celebrities. Madame T. learned her craft while making death masks of French Revolution victims, and in 1835 she set up her first show of the famous ones near this spot. Top billing still goes to the murderers in the Chamber of Horrors, who stare glassy-eyed at visitors—one from an electric chair, one sitting next to the tin bath where he dissolved several wives in quicklime. What, aside from ghoulish prurience, makes people stand in line to invest in one of London's most expensive museum tickets? It must be the thrill of all those photo opportunities with royalty, Hollywood stars, and world leaders—all in a single day. Beat the crowds by booking timed entry tickets in advance. You can also buy non-dated, "priority access" tickets via the website (at a premium).
- Address: Marylebone Rd., Regent's Park, London, NW1 5LR | Map It
- Phone: 0870/400-3000 for timed entry tickets
- Cost: £15--£35 according to time; call or check website. Combination ticket with London Eye, London Dungeons, and London Aquarium from £35--£57.
- Hours: Early Apr. and mid-Jul.--Aug., daily 9--7; Sept.--Mar. and mid-Apr.--mid-Jul., weekdays 9--5:30 (last admission); weekends 9:30--6 (last admission).
- Website: www.madame-tussauds.com
- Tube: Baker St.
- Location: Regent's Park and Hampstead
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $142-$165 -- Central London Hotel Through Summer, 30% Off ibis London Euston St. Pancras
- $133 & up -- London: 4-Star Hotel near City Center, $200 Off Mercure London Bridge Hotel
- $1699 & up -- London, Paris & Rome 9 Nts. w/Air & Train Europe Express
- $499 & up -- Transatlantic Cruises to Europe, Save $100 Norwegian Cruise Line
During my planning phase, many Fodorites were very helpful and encouraging, as always! Read more
Given that some quarter million make the trek annually (and even more by train), it's not like climbing Snowdon is scaling Everest. Read more
So those that have been with me from the start you will already know some of this but for those that don't here we go:
In June I am travelling to Europe with my two children (2 & 4) for 4/5weeks with Read more
· News & Features
A sculpture of a Greek goddess welcomes you in from the streets of London's Soho neighborhood.... Read more
It's been about 18,000 hard day's nights (er, 50 years) since The Beatles changed rock 'n' roll.... Read more
A trophy trip for teens, a storybook vacay for toddlers, a sophisticated city break for grown-ups... Londo... Read more