History and tradition greet you at every turn in London; it's also one of the coolest, most modern cities in the world. If London contained only landmarks such as Westminster Abbey and Buckingham Palace, it would still rank as one of the world's great destinations, but Britain's capital is much more. People come to glimpse the royals and stop by hot galleries; to take in theater and trendy shops; to sample tea and scones or cutting-edge cuisine. When you need a break from the action, pop into a pub, relax in a park—or take a walk and make London your own.
- Architectural Icons The Tower of London and Big Ben are quintessential London.
- Art Museums From the National Gallery to the Tate Modern, a visual feast awaits.
- Top Theater Whether it's Shakespeare or avant-garde drama, the play's the thing.
- City of Villages Unique neighborhoods from Mayfair to the East End invite discovery.
- Shopping Fun markets, famous flagship department stores, chic boutiques.
- Parks and Squares Distinctive green spaces large and small are civilized retreats.