- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's London 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Royal Academy of Arts
Royal Academy of Arts Review
Burlington House was built in 1664, with later Palladian additions for the 3rd Earl of Burlington in 1720. The piazza in front is a later conception from 1873, when the Renaissance-style buildings around the courtyard were designed by Banks and Barry to house a gaggle of noble scientific societies, including the Royal Society of Chemistry and the Royal Astronomical Society.
The house itself is home to the draw-card tenant, the Royal Academy of Arts. In a city with heavyweight galleries such as Tate Modern, Tate Britain, and the National Gallery, the Royal Academy more than holds its own. The statue of the academy's first president, Sir Joshua Reynolds, palette in hand, is prominent in the piazza of light stone with fountains by Sir Phillip King. Within the house and up the stairs are statues of creative giants J.W.M. Turner and Thomas Gainsborough. Free tours show off part of the collection and the excellent temporary exhibitions. Every June for the past 240 years, the RA has put on its Summer Exhibition, a huge and always surprising collection of art by living Royal Academicians and a plethora of other contemporary artists.
- Address: Burlington House, Piccadilly, Mayfair, London, W1J 0BD | Map It
- Phone: 020/7300–8000; 0207/300–5839 lectures; 0207/300–5995 family programs
- Cost: Prices vary with exhibition from £8–£16
- Hours: Sat.–Thurs. 10–6, Fri. 10–10; tours Tues. 1, Wed.–Fri. 1 and 3, Sat. 11:30
- Website: www.royalacademy.org.uk
- Tube: Piccadilly Circus, Green Park.
- Location: St. James's and Mayfair
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
For the time being, keep your Mediterranean give me North of England locations with the sun shining in Spring.
We dusted off our ‘Walks in the Forest of Bowland’ a Cicerone Guide written by Read more
I recently got back from a wonderful trip to Budapest, with overnight layovers in London coming and going. Read more
I'll be spending some time in Europe this summer and was curious thoughts on European fashion for a larger man. I'm 6' 2" and generally wear XL. Most of the European fashion I see is for skinny Read more
· News & Features
The new Rosewood London is London's latest luxury property, touting a hip twist on Edwardian style, complete... Read more
'Tis the season at London Heathrow, which almost seems like a giant shopping mall with an airport attached.... Read more
The beacons of hotel-cool are at it again, this time across the pond.... Read more