- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Le Gavroche Review
Enthusiastic "MasterChef" judge Michel Roux Jr. thrives and works the floor at this clubby basement national institution in Mayfair—established by his uncle and father in 1967—and which many still rate to this day as the best formal dining in London. With silver domes and old-fashioned unpriced ladies' menus, Roux's mastery of technically-precise and classical French cuisine hypnotizes all-comers with signature dishes like foie gras with cinnamon-scented crispy duck pancake, langoustine with snails and Hollandaise, pig's trotters, or saddle of rabbit with Parmesan cheese. Desserts like Roux's famous chocolate omelette soufflé or upside-down apple tart are searingly accomplished. Weekday 3-course set lunches (£52) are the best and sanest way to experience such unashamed overwrought flummery—with a half bottle of wine, water, coffee, and petit fours thrown in. The decor is 80s-traditional-luxe: some might find it dated, but the V.I.P.s here must adore it.
- Address: 43 Upper Brook St., Mayfair, London, W1K 7QR | Map It
- Phone: 020/7408-0881
- Website: www.le-gavroche.co.uk
- Tube: Marble Arch, Bond St.
- Location: Mayfair
- Jacket required.
- Reservations essential.
- Credit cards accepted.
- Closed Sun. and 10 days at Christmas.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1999 -- British Isles: 7-Night Windstar Cruise, 70% Off Windstar Cruises
- $1799 & up -- 'World's Best': Luxe European Cruises, 70% Off — $1,799 Windstar Cruises
Again, as promised a separate thread that will be easily searchable. Read more
With many thanks to many posters here who commented in my earlier thread: http://www.fodors.com/community/europe/3-weeks-w-6-year-old-in-uk.cfm
I didn't want to disappear into the ether and i wanted to Read more
Hi everyone! Read more
· News & Features
It's been about 18,000 hard day's nights (er, 50 years) since The Beatles changed rock 'n' roll. ... Read more
A trophy trip for teens, a storybook vacay for toddlers, a sophisticated city break for grown-ups... Londo... Read more
Despite the season finale, Dan Stevens (aka Matthew Crawley) was on hand to host the Big British Invite... Read more