- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's London 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Handel House Museum
Handel House Museum Review
The former home of the composer, where he lived for more than 30 years until his death in 1759, is a celebration of his genius. It's the first museum in London solely dedicated to one composer. In rooms decorated in fine Georgian style you can linger over original manuscripts (there are more to be seen in the British Library) and gaze at portraits—accompanied by live music if the adjoining music rooms are being used by musicians in rehearsal. Some of the composer's most famous pieces were created here, including Messiah and Music for the Royal Fireworks. To hear a live concert here is to imagine the atmosphere of rehearsals and "salon" music in its day (check the website for details of recitals and events). Handel House makes a perfect cultural pit stop after shopping on nearby Bond and Oxford streets, and if you come on a weekend, there is free admission for kids. The museum occupies both No. 25 and the adjoining house, No. 23, where another musical star, Jimi Hendrix, lived for a brief time in the 1960s, as a blue plaque outside the house indicates. Until recently, Hendrix's flat housed the administrative offices of the museum and therefore was rarely open to the public. But from 2015 all that will change as Hendrix's flat will become a permanent museum. Phone or check the website for details.
- Address: 25 Brook St., entrance in Lancashire Court Mayfair, London, W1K 4HB | Map It
- Phone: 020/7495–1685
- Cost: £6.50
- Hours: Tues., Wed., Fri., and Sat. 10–6, Thurs. 10–8, Sun. noon–6 (last admission ½ hr before closing)
- Website: www.handelhouse.org
- Tube: Bond St.
- Location: St. James's and Mayfair
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
First … thank you so much to all who helped with suggestions. Read more
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
We are planning a trip next summer and would like to visit England, Scotland, and Wales. Read more
· News & Features
The new Rosewood London is London's latest luxury property, touting a hip twist on Edwardian style, complete ... Read more
'Tis the season at London Heathrow, which almost seems like a giant shopping mall with an airport attached.... Read more
The beacons of hotel-cool are at it again, this time across the pond.... Read more