- The Wörther See. In summer, this area turns into Austria's version of the Hamptons. Pleasure-seekers check into mansions-turned-hotels, boat on the crystalline lake, and party until the wee hours.
- Burg Hochosterwitz. Walt Disney drew the inspiration for Snow White from this magnificent castle on top of a mountain. Not even the Turks were able to pass through its 14 gates.
- Gurk Cathedral. Supported by 100 marble pillars, the most splendid of all the region's Romanesque churches features the original chair of St. Hemma. When women sit in it, they supposedly have a nice surprise nine months later.
- Graz. The UNESCO city of design, a fresh and young creative city, offers an all-year-round cultural program with events for all tastes.
- Museum in a Palace. Actually there are four museums—plus the gorgeous Prunkräume (staterooms) in Graz's Schloss Eggenberg, itself a museum piece that sheds light on Austria's past.
- Rogner Bad Blumau. A natural spring-water resort, a two-hour train ride northeast of Graz, is designed by artist Friedensreich Hundertwasser.
Our 42-hour vacation itineraries are tailored to your interests—from arts-and-culture escapes to outdoor adventures.More